1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

JUMBO Egg Layers (???)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyOaksYokes, Nov 17, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Not sure if this is where I post this question or not....so sorry if posted to wrong one!!!!

Question - What breed lays the biggest JUMBO eggs??? I think Leghorns do... but what other breeds????

Also, are Amercauna's/Easter Eggers the only breed that lays decent sized blue/green eggs??? Just currious.

Thanks in advance.....Tes

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Hey, JGiants are the largest breed and lay eggs that are as big as a regular double yoker.

3. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    cool... thanks!!!!

any others???

4. CJD

CJD Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    I've gotten some monster eggs from my red stars. I was collecting eggs one day and found one that was almost 3 inches long! If the hen hadn't been sitting on it, I would have thought it was someone playing a joke on me. I've gotten a few more of these super-jumbos from them, but I mostly get really nice large eggs, bigger then jumbo eggs from the store.

Mary

5. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    My BSL"S lay extra lg. eggs and lay almost every day, they are egg laying machines.

6. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Thanks for the info.... guess I should have also asked if they are brown or white eggs along with that question. We are looking for both. I will definately write those down for my spring order. Wish I could get them now though uggg lol.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I've been reading that chicken chart that somebody posted (sorry don't have the link) And it tells you what size eggs to expect.

8. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    LOL.... I have posted one of the chicken charts, but I have found that some of the information is not correct. Such as the Leghorn... they are supposed to lay large eggs... on the chart it says medium. And there is another one that is incorrect... brain dead at the moment....

Unless you have a different chart then I do... Here is the link... let me know if it is the same one you have seen. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Edited
    to add.... it also does not say which ones lay the Extra large/Jumbo.... that is why I am asking

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  9. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:What are BSL's?

10. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    BSL's if i am not mistaken are Black sex links

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by