Jumbo egg layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary Of Exeter, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Which breeds lay jumbo sized eggs? Color of the egg isn't really that important to me, I would just like a breed who lays the biggest eggs.

2. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    I don't know about the biggest of all, but my red sex link lays the largest in our little flock. (We have an Australorp, Rhode Island Red and Leghorn that are laying as well. Everyone else is still just pooing for their feed.) They're jumbo sized, larger than the large eggs we buy in the store. She's also the most faithful, laying a beautiful brown egg almost every morning.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The only one of my girls that lays JUMBO is my Golden Cuckoo Marans... My Dellie X GCMarans Lay some large eggs that usually have two yolks.

4. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I wish I had a scale for my eggs. I'd like to know what size they classify as. I know in the past few weeks I've gotten two huge double yolkers.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My Barred rock lays jumbo sized eggs.

6. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    According to the Henderson Chicken Chart, Delawares lay the largest eggs.
    That hasn't been the case in my flock. An Australorp that I used to have, consistently laid the largest egg of any hen I have ever owned.
    My Cuckoo Marans and Turkens lay the largest eggs in my flock now.

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I have 6 BO's and their eggs weight just between 2.5 and 2.25 oz . Jumbo and ex. Lg. Eggs are sized by wt.

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I had an old Isa Brown hen that laid HUGE eggs! Most of them were double yolkers but some weren't. I dont know if this is normal though... [​IMG]

9. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I get the largest eggs in my flock from my light brahma hen, Roxie. In fact, a couple months ago, she laid a whopper that weighed 3.65 oz! When I saw it in the nest box, I was afraid she hurt herself laying it, but she was none the worse for the wear! Ever since, her eggs have ranged between 2.5 and 2.8 oz, with an occasional 3.0.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Australorps...hands down the best layers of huge eggs in my flock over the years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by