Jumbo Egg Today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by niccichick, Mar 28, 2012.

1. niccichick

niccichick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Oh my goodness. One of my hens laid a jumbo egg today. I don't know who it was. My brother went out to free range them for me and found this! He's sure it must be a double yolk. My girls were hatched on Oct. 17th, 2011 and have only been laying eggs since March 4th, but I am up to a consistent 7 eggs a day from my 10 hens. Two of my hens, one Buffie and one Black Austrolorp have suddenly morphed into giants overnight. Their legs are double the thickness of all the other hens and they look a third larger, they eat like crazy and squat and scream all day until they lay their egg. We are guessing it may have been one of them. Now all we have to do is decide who gets to eat this big baby!

Aren't chickens just the most fun one can have? We adore my girls and find ourselves seeking time with them all day long. I had a bad cold the past few days and just taking a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup (Yes, I know there is something REALLY wrong with this but it did make me feel oh so much better) out and sitting in a chair with my girls as they free ranged our yard did wonders in making me feel so much better.

Does anyone else find eggs this large consistently?

Here's a pic. of what we regularly get next to the jumbo. The regular one is considered a small egg by store standards and are starting to show up a bit larger to the medium side of sizing lately. The jumbo measured over 3.5" long!

NIcciChick

[​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Holy cow! That's a big egg! Probably has 2 yolks inside, so 2 people could share it. [​IMG]
    I find them every once in a while. A couple years ago I had a hen who laid one every month, and I actually have on in the refridgerator right now. They're so fun to find!

3. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Looks like a double yolker. I get one every two weeks or so. My girls are still under a year. People will tell you sometimes they lay more of these the first year due to getting their systems together. It's so fun when you get one of those, or the elusive triple yolker!!!

4. niccichick

niccichick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    It was a double yolker! It was YUMMY! Had it for dinner last night. My girls are starting to lay larger and larger eggs. We are consistently up to the medium size eggs being laid by the first 4 girls who started laying a month ago, and still getting the cutie baby size small eggs from the other 6 newbies to laying. Funny thing is that the two largest chickens in my flock are the newest to laying and are laying the smallest eggs, while the smallest hen is laying the largest now!

NicciChick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by