Jumbo Eggs question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pw_quiltworks, Feb 2, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    What breeds lay jumbo eggs? I have red sex links. Do they lay jumbos? Sorry if this is not the right place to post. Not sure where the topic belongs.

Question 2:
    At what point should I start giving them oyster shells? They will start laying in the middle of March sometime.

Thanks in advance.
    Priscilla

2. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I'm not sure if my chicken was mislabled at the feed store I bought her but she was called a "gold Sex Link" and she lays eggs so huge that they do not sit in the Large egg carton right so I assume they are jumbos.

I offer oyster shells in a little hanging cup near the water container so just offer them now and if they want them, they will eat them. I think it's a good idea to get them in the habit of eating them so they just continue to eat them thruout their laying careers. I have prelaying and layers out there so everyone can eat them at will.

3. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Now I am getting real excited about the eggs. I knew they were good layers but did not know what size. Thanks for answering my thread.
    I will probably do the same as you on the oyster idea. I already have a little plastic container nailed to a stud for the grit and it works great. It's a small plastic nut and bolt bin. Had dh drill a hole through it and I nailed it. They do not get poop or waste any of it that way. I think at some point I will do the same with the feed. I have some bigger bolt bins that measure about 11 inches long by 6 inches wide by 5 inches deep. The idea is not to waste so much feed. I can get quite creative when it come to solving a problem. I don't like the hanging feeder. They waste about half the feed. It really is a bad design. Makes no sense to me. Sorry to ramble on.
    Priscilla

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    My golden comets eggs I cannot even close my large egg cartons if i sit them in there...and just like yours they dont even sit in the holders [​IMG]

if my photobucket stops acting up i'll post a pic

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My BIG Red Star hen and my tiny White Leghorn are my JUMBO egg layers... now just the leghorn as I rehomed the red star because she was constantly trying to crow! kid you not.

6. pw_quiltworks

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Like a rooster? Maybe she was trying to be a he. My red stars are vocal. Loud at times. I am so looking forward to the eggs next month.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by