1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jumbo/Exhibition Rouen Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckmeister, Sep 10, 2016.

1. duckmeister

duckmeister Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4 month old pair and 3 month old pair, they are HUGE! When I was younger, didn't care for the exhibition type Rouen, thought them to be unattractive, but in my latter years have learned to enjoy them. The keel really does almost drag on the ground. They really don't walk very well, but they do alright, letting them out to free range occasionally and restricting their feed so it's not available 24/7 helps. Started them on 20% chick starter and then switched to Artois feed layer pellets 16%. Artois adds niacin to their layer pellets, and I suspect with the huge asian market for duck eggs in California that they add extra.

Looking forward to when the males get their Mallard colored feathers, will add some photos when they do.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Great looking birds! Congratulations! :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a huge Rouen Drake...He is a Monster.....Too bad you could not take him.....

4. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California

Yes they do get huge, my 2 boys are already noticably larger than the 2 girls.

5. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    [​IMG]

5 month old hen, big girl.

6. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Looks like I have 3 hens and 1 drake. Would have sworn the 1 was a boy, kept a high squeaky voice forever and a clear bill with no dark spots. Kept waiting for his head to start turning green, so caught him today and surprise surprise he quacks like a hen duck!

7. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Day 10, candled a couple of eggs from my big jumbo pekin daddy and exhibition rouen hens and they are fertile! So happy! Unfortunately the big egg that killed my rouen hen laying it was not fertile. Good that Big Daddy the jumbo pekin is doing his job and getting the eggs fertilized. I plan to put every single egg in the incubator this year from my 2 rouen hens. Can't wait to see what ducklings look like. :D

8. wolfwood2186

wolfwood2186 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Gettysburg, PA
    Your girls are very pretty. That keel is all but scraping the ground.

9. duckmeister

Oct 13, 2014
    Red Bluff, California
    Thank you, yes they do about drag the ground, it slows them down, but they get where ever they want, just a lot slower than all the other ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by