Jumbo Or Not? japanese quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by zayn, Jan 11, 2015.

1. zayn

zayn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    [​IMG]

Are these quail jumbo or not? pics included. they are fairly bigger, but are they jumbo, jumbo brown, like what breed of coturnix and are they jumbo? any ideas would be much appreciated.

zayn[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    There is no way to answer your question without knowing the weight and age of your birds..... That coupled with no hard standards for coturnix or Bobs makes this a tough question to answer with anything more than a "opinion", even with the weight and age of the bird in question...They are brown, wild type, Pharaoh coturnix......The one on the right side of the top pic is a cock bird. The standard/jumbo/giant break points are a area of long running debate.....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  3. cotquail

cotquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2013
    Outaouais, Quebec, Canada
  4. zayn

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    @cotquail @fat daddy thanks

5. bobstical

bobstical New Egg

Aug 26, 2015
    Yes they are jumbo cause min are much small than them these are some pic of mine[​IMG][/IMG] the last image is of my brown jumbo baby quail and white normal quail in the background hope this helps

6. zayn

Jan 4, 2015
    uk
    yeah the jumbos look a lot like mine i bred a really big jumbo female with a really big jumbo male which hatched about 7 and a half weeks ago 7 of them and one male who is only 7 weeks old is as big as a giant jumbo quail its massive lol

7. Monkau

Monkau Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2015
    Perth, Western Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My bigger birds pictured.

Depends on weight as to atraching the jumbo label.

Some from same hatch will be jumbo, some not. Some are just big some just small. Same as having a taller brother or sister.

Have some at 6 weeks (the lighter brown bird in 2nd pic is one) at over 300gram while others the same colour and age and sex trail behind.

[​IMG]
    This one I would not call jumbo as she is 100gram lighter than the largest from the hatch.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by