Jumbo or not?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by animal8, Sep 15, 2011.

1. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    At my college we have two Japanese quail hens and one is larger than the other. So I have a question. How can you tell if it's a Jumbo or not? Is it just based on the weight of the bird or can you tell with a size comparison of the two? I have a picture of the two of them together when we first got them.

[​IMG]

So is the hen on the left a Jumbo? Or not? [​IMG]

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    They sure are enjoying that grass! Nice birds!

We got 8 "Jumbo" from someone on craigslist recently. No 2 are the same size, so I was sort of wondering the same thing.

I just ordered eggs that should be here next week from a reputable breeder here and i'm anxious to see how they all compare.
    I have a feeling what we got from craigslist aren't so "Jumbo".

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    Quote:Thanks!! You're definitely right about no two birds being the same. These two really have distinct personalities. Sparrow, the left one, seems to be the more chilled and is always running about exploring (they've been moved to the bottom of the large avairy we have), while Nightingale, the right one, is always hiding whenever anyone goes in there. I've had more than one incident where she's scared me by flying up from under my feet and I didn't see her there!! [​IMG]

I had thought before that maybe they were just slightly different from each other, but that was before I knew about the differences between the normal and the jumbo varieties [​IMG] So I just wondered if maybe that was the reason for their difference. I'm not sure what the weight is like on either of them, though.

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jumbos are by weight...anything over 10-12 oz. ,i believe, is a Jumbo ...then of course, anything 16 oz. and up is called a "Giant".

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    In Coturnix Speces Hen Are Usually Larger Than Males... Irreguardless Of Standard Or Jumbo Sized

6. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:O.K.....
    So the million $$ question is... How do we get them to sit still and weigh them?
    Having the weights is great info! Thanks!

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Our hens are alot bigger than the males.

It just seems we have a few of the 8 that are small, for what the Jumbo is.

I didn't think to ask the guy where he got his eggs, it was before finding this site, and I was just excited to find quail. lol..

Hi didn't raise quail. Just had the pen of chicks.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    GLUE THEIR LIL FEET TO THE SCALE... SOONER OR LATER THEY WILL TIRE OUT AND QUIT FIGHTING ~ THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET AN ACCURATE WEIGHT [​IMG]

9. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:[​IMG] That sounds like something my hubby would do! [​IMG]

Thanks..
    I'll go see if we have any glue. [​IMG]

10. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] now THERE'S a visual to work on ! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by