Jumbo or regular Coturnix for best feed to eggs conversion?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Ale, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:03 PM.

1. Ale

Ale Hatching

Monday
    I've decided to get five Coturnix quails. Now trying to figure out if I should get the Jumbo breed or the smaller breed.

They'll only be for eggs and won't be meat birds.

Which one has the better feed to egg conversion? Egg by weight I mean. I'm assuming both breeds give the same number of eggs per week.

2. Crazydoglady99

Crazydoglady99 Songster

Nov 6, 2018
    You would literally be talking milligrams of difference. So pick whichever you like best.

cosmosue likes this.
  3. Ale

Ale Hatching

Monday
    How much bigger are the Jumbo eggs?

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/james-marie-pharaoh-vs-american-pharaoh-quail.947564/ is a discussion of James Marie Farms' jumbo CQs (apparently pretty much the best source of quail in the US) vs run-of-the-mill coturnix. I'm not a quail person, but they're next on my poultry list, so I've done some research.

JMF quail come very highly recommended. If you plan on starting a flock, I'd just order some of his hatching eggs. Otherwise... well, there aren't any actual legal restrictions regarding advertisements, as I understand it, so a lot of "Jumbo" quail are actually just regular coturnix.

EDT: Also, like meat chickens, jumbo coturnix generally do not lay as many eggs as their smaller counterparts. Birds selectively bred for meat production are not usually simultaneously bred for egg production.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 11:41 PM
    Ale likes this.
  5. Ale

Ale Hatching

Monday
    Thanks @sylviethecochin for the info! I don't have an incubator and I don't need that many quails (I'm single and 3-5 are all I need for eggs, starter hobby and as pets), so I'll try to get live JMF quails if anyone sells them.

I found out the jumbo quails and their eggs are both ~50% bigger. Now I need to find out if they require 50% more feed, more than that, or less than that.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  6. Ale

Ale Hatching

Monday
    Did you mean regular/other jumbo coturnix or JMF Pharaoh coturnix?

7. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    JMF jumbo (meat class)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: