Jumbo Pekin experts!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oohlalaney, Oct 12, 2014.

1. oohlalaney

oohlalaney New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I am on day 16 of incubation on jumbo Pekin eggs. This is not my first hatch, my second and I didn't do too well on the first and my little baby Sheldon that did make it got stepped on. :( I was just wondering how to be successful here on my hatch. My first batch of this breed in particular. I have a still air incubator and no autorotate and I keep the temp at about 101-102 and the humidity at about 45-50%. Am I doing anything wrong? I candle them daily and two of them stopped moving around in their eggs like the rest so I moved them into a new incubator just in case they were dead so I didn't affect the rest of the eggs. Could somebody tell me how to do this correctly or give me feedback? I've lost a couple duckling in my life time and I don't want to go through it again...I had two successful ducks grow to be big and strong but they were store bought. I just recently started actually hatching them. I keep them as pets. If anybody could tell me how and what they've done in their experience to keep their new ducklings safe and strong once they hatched that would be great. I've heard about leg problems with the jumbo Pekins and I'm not completely clueless as in what to do but I would like some professional feedback as well! Thanks to anybody that can help!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    I'm not sure I get what you're looking for exactly. Since you got a while until they hatch I'll skip the safe after hatching part but definitely don't let them get stepped on :(

Unless this breed is special, the temps to high. I believe for still air you go one degree up so 100-101 if it varies a degree. Check the links in my sig btw great for hatching.

I wouldn't remove them unless you're sure they're done. There are horror stories of ppl making mistakes. If you're candling and they don't look infected (or smell) they shouldn't affect others. To be safe I waited until I could tell they were definitely a week behind in development. I only hatched once and figured I couldn't be sure candling. Some did prove me wrong later

3. oohlalaney

oohlalaney New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Thank you for the information! The heat being too high has just been fixed:) would you mind if I kept you updated on how my hatch is doing? When they hatch I would love to know exactly what I'm doing wrong or right!

4. enriquec

enriquec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    North Florida
    I warm you I'm no expert and won't know what you're doing right our wrong unless someone has shared that info with me :) the two links in sig contain a lot of info. But I'd love to hear updates. I'm sure everyone will.

5. oohlalaney

oohlalaney New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Thank you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by