Jumbo Pekin Hen - Walking Problems

Table4Six

Crossing the Road
10 Years
May 22, 2012
My Jumbo Pekin hen is having more and more trouble walking. At first I though it was bumble foot, but when I checked her feet they were completely normal. She turned a year old this march. Ever since I got her, I've monitored her weight and it has been normal, but she almost feels lighter now. I feed all my ducks a mixture of All flock and Layer Pellets, the all flock has 20% protein. Could this be a deficiency of some sort? But none of my other ducks are showing any symptoms? Any help/advice is much appreciated.

:frow Are you adding niacin to the food? Ducks need more niacin than all flock feeds contain. I use brewers yeast. Others here on BYC also use nutritional yeast which has more niacin I believe. I would try that first. Keep us posted.

@Table4Six I'd go with the B complex liquid since she is having trouble. It works so much faster. Even though she is a year old I'd still go for it. You can get the one at TSC in the cattle section 1ml daily or go to Walmart and get the human 3ml daily TSC is more concentrated. Bless her heart being a Jumbo she already has strikes against her but sounds like you have been very good at keeping her weight under control Lets hope the B Complex gets her back to normal.

Last edited:
I also have a jumbo Pekin with leg issues. It’s taken awhile but she’s finally walking better although she’s slower than most of my flock of regular sized ducks. I gave her niacin, a capsule of turmeric a day, and also fish oil capsule a day. She really started to improve once I gave her the turmeric and fish oil. She’s a pig so I put it in a handful of peas and she ate it. I hope this helps!

Hello..I raise Calls now although I had Appleyard before. Large duel purpose Ducks.
This is how I feed my Calls and how I fed my Appleyard.
I had them on Duck finisher at 16% protein. During the week I add in either cracked wheat or a classic scratch grain that has less corn. Once a week I give them wild bird seed mixed in too. Plus veggies a few times a week.
I now have them on a Grower/Finisher that's for all Birds at 16% protein. Mine all forage daily too so winter feeding of course changes the amounts of grains I add too.

Thank you all so much for the replies, since she is already going down hill fast, I am working on getting her in to see my avian vet tomorrow, who never over prices and helped save the life of my pekin hen's life earlier when she was having trouble with a prolapsed ovary. My jumbo pekin, although she is showing no signs of bumble foot, has very strange, what appears to be necrotic tissue and swelling on the bottom of her foot, so even if she can't be seen tomorrow I definitely want her to see my vet. Thank you @Miss Lydia, I will see what I can do about that B complex. ;)

Back
Top Bottom