Jumbo Pekin with a swollen ankle

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sjacobsen, Aug 8, 2013.

1. sjacobsen

sjacobsen New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    I have a jumbo pekin that I am using to show at the upcoming fair. Awhile ago I noticed that one of the ankles seemed a bit bigger than the other but there where no obvious signs of discomfort so I just kept an eye on her. This morning I noticed that she began to limp. I didnt see any obvious cuts or infections on the pads but I could be wrong. I will be going down there soon to soak her feet in epsom salt and to clean the pad to see if there is any visible signs of what could be wrong. Anyone have any idea on what it could be?

2. Jryxx

Jryxx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Central Ohio
    Could she have sprained or twisted it at some point? Maybe she got some type of big bite. Epsom salt sounds good to me to prevent infections. I would try to keep her off her feet as much as it is possible to keep a duck from walking... Curious little creatures.

3. sjacobsen

sjacobsen New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    any ideas on how to keep it off her feet? we have a fairly large pen and I dont want to separate them too much because she would become distressed

4. Jryxx

Jryxx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Central Ohio
    Well there lies the problem. It's extremely hard to keep a duck from walking around because they are natural born explorers. I've heard that it is okay to give a duck Benadryl, which could help with the swelling and would also make her sleepy so she doesn't walk around. Somewhere on here there is a thread regarding that and aspirin. You may give her aspirin but I don't know the dosage. Otherwise You may have to separate her or just let her walk and hope it heals quickly. Walking on it actually may help with pain and swelling. When I sprained my ankle real bad, the doctor told me to keep walking on it and it helps it heal faster. Overall, just keep up with the Epsom salt and keep a close eye on her. If she gets worse, It wouldn't hurt to find an avian vet in your area or consult someone here on the forums. Sounds to me like its very minor. A twist or bug bite. Good luck! Keep us updated.

5. sjacobsen

sjacobsen New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    it turns out the symtoms seem to be matching up with bumblefoot

6. Jryxx

Jryxx Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2013
    Central Ohio
    Oh no good. The vet should be able to get her on a safe track to recovery. Don't know how long bumblefoot recovery takes though. Best wishes for you and her!

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by