1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Jumbo Pekin with swollen ankle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sjacobsen, Aug 8, 2013.

1. sjacobsen

sjacobsen New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    My sister and I have been raising jumbo pekins for the past 5 years now. I have a jumbo pekin that I am using to show at the upcoming fair. Awhile ago I noticed that one of the ankles seemed a bit bigger than the other but there where no obvious signs of discomfort so I just kept an eye on her. This morning I noticed that she began to limp. I didnt see any obvious cuts or infections on the pads but I could be wrong. I will be going down there soon to soak her feet in epsom salt and to clean the pad to see if there is any visible signs of what could be wrong. Anyone have any idea on what it could be?
    Edit: I went down again to look that the foot and there is a large brown spot on the bottom of the pad, assuming its a scab of some sort. We have seen this on our other duck's feet and has not been an issue for them.

2. sjacobsen

sjacobsen New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    I believe this may be bumblefoot... how long does it take for ducks or chickens to recover after having dug the infection out? I have our county fair coming up in a week or two and wondering if its worth going through with it or just not bringing her to fair

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by