Jumbo pekins? has anyone got em?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spamee34, May 13, 2010.

1. spamee34

spamee34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    East Texas
    I see em on the ideal site and was wondering if anyone had them and if they had raised them for meat or for pets ?

2. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    I have one. She is a pet. We eat the eggs too.

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    One of my Pekin Gals is a Jumbo, purely pet :)

Michelle

4. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    I've got two that are still ducklings... they're going to be pet/breeders [not show quality but I'd like more of them. [​IMG]]

5. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Mine is very sweet but doesn't like to be held. She tolerates being pet and is the softest duck. She has a lot of attitude but isn't mean, even to kids. She is a little dumb. It takes her a while to figure things out She is a good layer but she eats a ton. That also means she poops more [​IMG]

Update: She is 11+ lbs. This was taken a few months ago and she is bigger now. This is her next to my scovy girl

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  6. rtbarber

rtbarber New Egg

Sep 14, 2009
    hi there:D
    I have two pekins. They are great pets. My male (nibbles) was raised with RIR roosters. He was pretty much thinking he was a chiken and couldnt figure out why the hen ran from him.hes almost a year now so i decided to get him a female duckling.I wasnt sure how he would act with so to test it i put her outside when it was warm enough.He instantly took to her. They freerange all day with the hens and roosters. They have huge breasts and use them to attack and roll(not hurt)the roosters if they get too close to her(precious).hes also the ref between the RIRs when they fight and good at it. they have alot of personality .be prepared they are huge and eat alot(mine love spagetti)but mostly eat flock raiser and worms.rtbarber

7. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    My pekin is a small little girl, around 4 pounds. :O

8. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    my female is at 10 pounds right now lol i dont know if that is considered "jumbo"

9. SDChef

SDChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Quote:X2

I also have a male and a female, they are almost 3 weeks and are HUGE, just a bit smaller than my Toulouse Goslings that are the same age. These guys eat and drink a lot, but definitely love just cuddling with each other so I'm sure they will pair up (well for the most part).

I am curious however about whether they will hatch out their own eggs?

10. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Good lord, your pekin is HUGE suburbanduckmom! Mine is about the size of your scovy girl. Sheesh! I'm not sure why mine is so small.....she doesn't eat that much either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by