jumbo quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by daseymay, Nov 19, 2010.

1. daseymay

daseymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I have had coturnix quail in past years, but never any jumbo quail. I notice that there are a few on the forum that also sell jumbos and thinking of getting some eggs. I do not feel that I need help in hatching and raising quail, but need help in selecting jumbos. I do not seem to find much information on the net on a breeding program for jumbo quail. Do you just select your larger birds for future breeders? With jumbos is there a certain percent of the offspring that may not be jumbos? I know that Texas A&M had nice large mostly white birds, but are all those advertised as Texas A&M's jumbo birds? Would appreciate your help and suggestions in getting some of these larger type birds.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If the parents are all jumbo all the chicks should be jumbo, though you'll get varying degrees of 'jumbo'. Select the biggest ones for your breeding program to ensure that the offspring are at least as big as the parent stock.

Texas A&Ms are just called Texas A&M's. Many people 'sell' Texas A&Ms but not many people have them. Just do your homework when it comes to those, they are few and far between.

quailladyoffortmyers does have A&Ms, and I'm sure there are others. I think Krunchie is another that has them. Or you can order from Lake Cumberland Game Bird Farm , I've seen several people that have gotten very big white coturnix from them.

3. daseymay

daseymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I recently bought some manchurian golden quail, but they have a different look than those I had a few years ago. They are around 8 weeks and were kept in an outside fly pen with no light, not laying and do not think that they are jumbos. They were a flea market buy so not sure their back ground. I do like their light color and possibly will get some golden jumbo and jumbo browns also. Just was not sure If all Texas A&M's were all jumbo or regular size. Thanks for your help and will also check with those mentioned that have quail. I am new here so any others out here with jumbo quail?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Plenty have jumbo coturnix, not many have A&Ms. If you're wanting just plain 'jumbos' you shouldn't have a problem finding them. [​IMG]

5. diggypaws

diggypaws Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:If you put Texas A&M in the BYC search box, you'll get a lot more accurate, relevant information than most places on the web.

I had read about A&M's on some websites claiming that they had white meat or white breast meat, found out that they didn't, but decided that size alone would make it worth trying Coturnix again.

I didn't have much luck a couple decades ago, but this year they've been growing great.

Since making a meal of 12oz birds is only half as much work as making a meal of 6oz birds, I had a lot of incentive to find the biggest birds available [​IMG]

I posted an auction for eggs with more details about my results for this year, and will try to add a picture of a bird to it this weekend, but pictures aren't easy for me. [​IMG]

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yes that is true, but there are websites out there that provides the most accurate info on the Coturnix, the color variations and all.

7. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    If we were to forget about the color for a moment, and focus on size, then what I would call a "JUMBO" coturnix would weigh between 8-10 oz. at 10 weeks of age. Also, coturnix are not the most consistently sized birds in the world!
    Undaunted, by the A&M myth. Sorry youngsters and new comers, it's a myth! Any "mostly white coturnix" can and is often called an "A&M". They are white birds, jumbo or little (English whites).
    Other than size, color, pattern, or designer genes like the XLD1, (That simply just slows down sexual maturity to boost harvest weight without capitation)....A coturnix is a coturnix is a coturnix.

Some "JUMBOS" can get pretty large (less than 11 oz.), but there is nothing wrong with little browns for egg and even meat production.

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Joe, I am with ya on that. I do have some Jumbo jumbo birds but 13 oz seems like tops lately...also depends on what you are feeding the birds....remember that the older the hen the larger the egg. So you can get a Jumbo egg from those itty bitty English Whites and the person who sold them to you "said" they are Texas A and Ms.....I was fooled on that at one point.

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Joe, I am with ya on that. I do have some Jumbo jumbo birds but 13 oz seems like tops lately...also depends on what you are feeding the birds....remember that the older the hen the larger the egg. So you can get a Jumbo egg from those itty bitty English Whites and the person who sold them to you "said" they are Texas A and Ms.....I was fooled on that at one point.

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:AMEN!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by