jump start egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mendozer, Jan 19, 2014.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    haven't had any eggs the last few weeks. It's been a pretty skimpy laying time since the summer. I de-wormed them in October and they slowly started laying, but maybe a month ago was the highest volume as of late and that was only 5 a week for 4 hens. And recently they stopped again.

They have good feed, free choice grit and shell, snacks occasionally, light timer, in a tractor with fresh grass daily. I have no idea what's going on and they're only 2.5 yrs old, so they shouldn't have dropped off so fast.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    2.5 years is often when layers often start a sharp decline in productivity.

What's your light timer schedule?
    Are the molting?

3. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    but that quick of a decline? Timer's set for 14 hours light. And no they molted back in the spring/early summer.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be....could be another stressor.
    What kind of birds and where did you get them?

5. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    all barred rocks and they were from a private seller who raised like 40 from chicks. They were great producers for me for a couple years.

6. mendozer

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    i freshened the coop up and in the last week nothing's been laid. would putting a golf ball in there jump start their thinking process of (ooh an egg, let me copy that)? I did that to help them lay in the right spot when they were younger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by