Jumped in feet first....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SummerLynn, Apr 1, 2018.

1. SummerLynn

SummerLynn Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Hey all!
    I'm Summer, and I'm a new chicken owner. I am also likely an idiot, but I'm here for help so go gentle on me please.

My family and I recently moved to an area where we are finally allowed to basically do whatever we want without too much in the way of ordinances and the like. And so.....chickens happened. or more specifically, chicks.

I did some research before getting the chicks, but perhaps not enough. I told my dad I was planning on getting some, and said i was going to get just 5 or 6. He said nah get 12, some will end up as roosters and some may not make it. Ok daddy :D So off to TSC I went to get 12 chicks. I told the guy which ones I wanted and he hands me the box and says "i put your free ones in there too" My...what? apparently it was buy so many get so many free and so I left with 16 chicks who are currenly fat and happy in my basement. I have the chick part under control, but while they grow I need to learn all I can and so, well, here I am.

Joeschooks, 007Sean, Teila and 5 others like this.
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome!
    First thing first, do you know what breed(s) you got? Management for layers differs from that of broilers. Did they come from bins marked pullets or straight run?
    Have you built/started your goop and run?

3. SummerLynn

SummerLynn Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Yes I got 6 barred, 4 rhode island red, 3 leghorn, and there are 3 others that for the life of me I cant recall what they were called but they are a light gray color right now. They are all (assuming the guy at TSC was right) layers, and yes all straight run.

4. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Welcome to the family! :frow
    Sounds like you have a nice flock starting! And you have come to the right place for help and support! :love
    You might want to consider researching chicken math.. it seems to have taken advantage and bit you in the rear!;)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Straight run generally = more males than you know what to do with. So he's lying to say they are all layers. Males will never lay an egg in their life. Young females - called pullets eventually become hens at a year of age.

At any rate if you have any that can't be identified. Please post photos at "what breed or gender is this," the folks there will sort them out for you.

6. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Welcome to BYC!
    By the way straight run means NOT all layers, it means mixed female and male (straight run). If it is sexed pullets they will be all layers, I always pay extra on pullets which in 5 years I only had 2 that got away (90-95% accurate) on sexing. Which when we started hatching then I got more in trouble since I tried to wing sex but only works for certain breeds.

7. kklowell

kklowell Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Bridgton, Maine
    Welcome, SummerLynn. Yep, you're in feet first all right! In something like 16-20 weeks you should start getting some eggs, so I hope you like them, have a big family, or plan to sell some. I hope your brooder is good-sized as these little babies grow darned fast (I have 12 babies so I'm already learning that.)

Joeschooks, 007Sean and Killer Tomato like this.
  8. SummerLynn

SummerLynn Chirping

Apr 1, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    Chicken math....that must be similar to "multiple tank syndrome" in the aquarium worlds :p

In all seriousness, it sounds like yes I'm certifiably insane haha

Thing is, if I get a bunch of roosters....I dont know what I'm goin to do with them geez I just assumed I had a 50/50 shot on whether I'd get hens or roosters.... How old before they can be sexed?!

9. kklowell

kklowell Songster

Mar 2, 2018
    Bridgton, Maine
    Roosters taste good.

10. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    Ha ha ha, my very first 17 wk old rooster is still in deep freeze camp with Superman. We haven’t had the guts to eat him yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: