Jumped off the deep end...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by akchick76, Mar 9, 2013.

1. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    I don't know what happened. I called a lady about the chicks that she just hatched. My kids started begging to go look at them, and somehow I brought 3 home. Not even sure what kind they are. Just picked up 3 that had "hairy legs". They are now huddled up together in the brooder that wasn't supposed to used for another week. Luckily I had everything ready. The lady said they were all from LF eggs, maybe brown, maybe green eggs. Maybe silkie mix. Not sure.

So far one is a hair smaller than the others and hasn't got her sea legs. She's trying real hard to snuggle up with the other two that are trying to sleep. They are just two days old at the most. Do they get steadier? When do i need to start worrying about them finding food?

2. akchick76

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    Pics posted. Just a little nervous, this being the first time. [​IMG][/IMG]

3. Xovan

Xovan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    You sound like me. lol I was so proud of myself yesterday when I left with no chickens woke up today and had to go back to get some. (Stupid chicken math)

4. akchick76

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    I had chicken math before I even got them. Just hadn't planned on it being today. Are they normally quiet and sleep a lot? I occasionally hear a couple peeps, then they put their heads back down and go to sleep. They are all huddled under the lamp. I ordered a brinsea, supposed to arrive today (hopefully, not a moment to soon). I will feel more comfortable when it gets here and I'm not worried about them getting cold. Heat lamp is at 98.

5. Xovan

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Yea well my math is bigger than yours. lol I wanted to start with like 8 hens then that grew to 10 then found BLRW's so 15 now I have these. We are getting 5 GLW's 5 SLW's pullets from a hatchery + 15 meat birds oh also 15 BLRW's straight run from a breeder. so that is 40 leaving to come here on April 8th. I guess this is the trial run before the mob shows up. lol we will see who stays at the end of the summer and who goes to freezer camp.
    I worked on my heat temp all morning too. I started with 100w and worked down to 60w now it is at 94 deg ish and they are on the edge. Well it is at 94 when there is no poop on the thermometer. lol

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. akchick76

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    By the end of next week I should have a total of 12. My main concern is how not-active they are. They are just sleeping under the lamp, occasionally peeping. Is this normal? The car ride was only 20 minutes at the most. Is it shock or exhaustion? Is it because they are day olds?

7. akchick76

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    Can't get them to stay awake long enough to show them the water. I did get some grow gel.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. Xovan

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Were they eating and drinking when you got them? Did you dip there beaks in the water? Mine got to TSC on Wednesday and seem to be sleeping then eating then pooping then drinking, Repeat. when my girls are not holding them.

9. akchick76

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    They were all huddled under the lamp when I got them. Forgot to ask if they were eating. They have pecked at the paper towels a couple times, but not at the plate of food. I did put their beaks in the water not sure if it worked.

10. Xovan

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Just put the food on the paper towel no plate see if that works.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by