Jumping 1 day old RIR Chick a rooster???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RRIRMom, Mar 15, 2013.

1. RRIRMom

RRIRMom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    Arizona
    I bought two RIR day old chicks from a feed store. I paid a higher price for them because the owner said she paid extra from the hatchery to have them sexed as hens.

1 has the typical stripe on top of its head, the other doesn't have one--that is the one my daughter picked. It is more light red compared to the brown one.

After setting up in the cage, I put both in. Within minutes, the light colored one kept jumping out. So I put the top on it (it is a Med size dog portable carrier) and it tried to escape through the front gate. I put cardboard inside to block half so heat lamp could work. Well, since I couldn't get the temp up to 90 degrees, I had to think of a new living arrangement. So I found a box about 6" higher than the last one. Well, it jumped up on top. So I found a box 2-1/2 feet high. It is still trying to jump out. The temp is perfect at one end, giving them freedom to move to the other side for cooler temp, food, and water.

I am worried because I have two 4 or 5 week RIR chicks in another cage that one didn't try jumping out until it was 3 wks old. That one I suspect is a rooster. It has a larger comb than the other, larger, and is more brave. When I clean the cage several times during the day, it will come to my hand and gently peck the glove, eat, and drink water ignoring me. While the other will stay at the far end until I am finished.

My fear is the jumping chick is a rooster and not a hen. Anyone who has raised several RIR find that the jumping chick is a rooster? Please let me know as I am thinking of returning it to exchange for another.

The reason I bought two more was to replace the older chick I suspect is a rooster. Will find him a home once confirmed. Where I live, I can not have a rooster otherwise it wouldn't be a problem.

Please let me know. Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    "Jumping" in chicks is not an indicator of gender. Nor is mock/play fighting.

3. RRIRMom

Mar 15, 2013
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ABOVE: Batch A 7 week old chicks from Pet Store

BELOW: Batch B 12 day old chicks from Independent Feed Store--owner claims to paid extra for hens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: Temp gauge at one end is 87 degrees and the other side 81.

In Batch A, the suspected Roo jumped out of the box during week 2, grew tail feathers first, braver, friendlier, is larger, comb larger from day one. Both chicks had stripe on top of head.

Batch B, same age, one of the chicks is following the same suspected Roo growth pattern. Tail feather is growing first and has more wing growth. This chick did not have the stripe on top of the head and day one was jumping out of box.

If my conclusion is correct for Chick from Batch B, then it will be a Roo too.

What is your experience? Did your Roos have the same growth pattern and jumped out of the box first?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Jumping ability is no indicator of sex.

Big red combs and wattles are!!! So far so good, in looking at your birds. However, the next two weeks will tell the tale. If you should see red combs and wattles sprout, you can worry then.

Here's some photos of chicks just a week or two older. Can you spot the cockerels? Pretty easy, isn't it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  5. RRIRMom

Mar 15, 2013
    Arizona
    Thank you for the pix, Fred's Hens. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the suspected Roo's comb does not turn red or grow waddles, Friday the 29th it was about 7 weeks old--give a day or two. What age would be an absolute--9 weeks old?

Then I have to keep watch for my other batch who were 2 weeks old the 28th give a day or two.

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my query.

Sourland, thank you too for taking the time to answer my question.

6. RRIRMom

Mar 15, 2013
    Arizona
    Well, to update for those who have the same questions:

Batch B, the chick with the stripe on top of head...grew wattles by 9 weeks old. It's comb is still pale. Looking at Batch A and the other chick from Batch B...no wattles. Darn. I paid extra for females and if this is a rooster, I will have to re-home. I spent so much in time, money, and anticipation for eggs to feed my family of 4--this is so disappointing. This chick also honks like a goose for the last 3 weeks whenever it's litter mate is out of sight. None of the others honk/squawk like this one. Once it crows, out the door it goes...will list to re-home where no one will eat it. Waiting in hopes the wattle is an aberration and an egg will appear instead of a crow.

Will post pix later on today.

Also, next time I will do it right and purchase 6 at the same time in hopes that 4 will be hens. This will save me from having to buy more and spend weeks getting them to be able to mingle together without trying to kill each other.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  7. RRIRMom

Mar 15, 2013
    Arizona
    OK, here is the picture of the chick with the wattles. Rooster or Hen? Thanks.

This is from Batch B, and this was the chick with the line on top of head.
    (10-1/2 weeks old)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thought I would include this pix below to show the difference of the older chick (16 wks old) that is definitely a hen...thanks Fred for confirming that for me...Since the above pix look different, is the above a Rooster?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. RRIRMom

Mar 15, 2013
    Arizona
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  9. randys

randys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    New York
    My RIR roo at 9 weeks had a lot bigger and redder comb and wattles.
    [​IMG]
    Love this bird but I do have to get rid of him for I can not have a rooster where I live.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  10. RRIRMom

Mar 15, 2013
    Arizona
    Randys: There is no mistake, your RIR looks like a rooster. He is beautiful too, like you, we can not have roosters either. I am hoping it is a hen so I don't have to part with it. Both Batch B chicks are so sweet and allow me to rub under their beak and chest.

Batch A Pullets, the other one is smaller and generally avoids me. The one pictured is the largest and scares me. She always watches me and when I clean the coop, she will peck my clothing then, climbs up the perch looking down at me. Reminds me of a Raptor ready to pounce on prey. I am waiting for the day when she will jump on me while cleaning. ha ha ha.

Last edited: May 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by