Jumping & Flapping & Flying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Naptown Chicks, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Naptown Chicks

Naptown Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Coop
    So new development in the My Crazy Chicks saga - at least two of them (Gertrude the Great and Phillipa the Proud) can now jump/flap/fly to the top of their waterers/feeders. The pic is of Gertrude - the little box she's after on the wall there is filled with delicious crickets. When Phillipa jumped/flapped/flew in front of me, I had that little box on top of the feeder, and she landed on top of that! I just don't want them to get out of their brooder. Should I just make the walls a bit higher, or am I supposed to clip their wings, or what?
    [​IMG]

http://naptown-chicks.blogspot.com

2. CluckyBoss

CluckyBoss Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Get a lid or make the walls higher. Last year I had one get out of the brooder, and pillfer all around the
    room, ofcoarse pooping everywhere. [​IMG] He was basically on a plate ready to eat for the dogs! Luckily
    I got to the little booger before the dogs... Good luck!

3. Naptown Chicks

Apr 1, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Coop
    Thanks Clucky :)

4. Ourfamilyflock

Ourfamilyflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Central Oregon
    We put a mesh screen over our brooder after our 3 week old RIR proved she could fly up and perch easily on the side side of the 2'5" foot walls I had made for the brooder. So we covered it with a mesh screen magnetted to the side of the walls. Still the red launches herself at the screen and bounces off it, so a lid or roof, is a must, especially if you have animals around.

5. Naptown Chicks

Apr 1, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My Coop
    Thank you! I'm off to Lowe's for something suitable first thing tomorrow. Do you think chicken wire will be okay? I don't want any heads getting stuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by