Jumping in from Indiana County, Pa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fisherlady, Dec 22, 2012.

1. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Hello all... I have been lurking for a while while I try to learn as much as I possibly can about this crazy obsession my Significant Other and I have gotten ourselves into! I have wanted chickens for years, his family had laying hens growing up. This past spring we were lucky enough to get a small group from a school project that didn't have a home. I had spent the last year buying any books I could use to learn from and the same with magazines with articles on chicken care and upkeep. Although I was pretty well prepared to handle the basics of their care I don't think either of us had really expected just how darn much enjoyment we would be getting out of our group! Chicken math has since set in and we got another few from a lady who was selling some adult birds of also unknown lineage so we are now at 15, with 4 being roos. We now also have a little Silkie (mix I think) who is determined to be broody and we are going to need to get the poor little girl some eggs since she won't give up!

We have been incredibly lucky with a group of birds who have been very healthy so far, and now have a nicely balanced group with a few very friendly hens and some nice roos, one of whom is pictured on my profile page and as of now (he is 9 months) is very friendly and easily held and allows us to do anything without fuss. I am very thankful that our start into the chicken keeping world has been so positive.

I have enjoyed so many of the threads I've read on here, and have found many hours and hours worth of incredible reading/learning to be had about all things (good and bad) in the world of chicken keeping.

I am looking forward to having many more good learning experiences here as we continue our journey into this (hopefully) more self sufficient time for us. I am also looking forward to having a lot of fun along the way!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm glad to hear your intro in the crazy world of chicken keeping went so well. If you want to read more and learn more interesting things scroll down to the brown footer and look on the right side for "Articles", at the bottom there is View: New articles/ All articles There are many many articles to look at and some of them are excellent. Enjoy!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, fisherlady, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Great job on your initial batch of birds! But maybe it wasn't luck p maybe you're just a good chicken mom! Best of luck in the future and happy holidays!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
    I'd love to think that our 'over preparation' (can there be such a thing???) has greatly helped our fledgeling year... but
    I do think we lucked into a mix of breeds, or maybe 'mutts' would be a better description, which made for a good combination
    of personalities and good health to keep it easier on us. LOL

The holidays are a hectic time to spend a lot of time online, but I hope to have pics up soon to show off the gang.

Sumi, Thanks for the tip on the articles link at the bottom of the page, I have read a large number of articles that I found through searches for keywords, but that page makes it even easier to cruise subjects I may have otherwise not thought of. It's nice to research subjects such as treatments for medical conditions or traumas before they happen. Or better yet, be able to prevent some things from happening!

6. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I only recently discovered the wealth of information in the articles myself. Some of them are very, very good!

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by