Jumping Muscovy Ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The last week or so i have went out in the morning to find a muscovy baby outside of the brooder, this has only happened 2 times now. The brooder walls are about 2ft tall so i assumed the little things were jumping on the waterer and then out. well today another one was out and peeping its head off so on my way out to put it away i saw one jump up to the edge of the wall and almost get out!

flat footed, just jumped and grabbed on with those little claws and almost got out! i kinda think he saw me and fell back in lol. but I just couldnt believe it! They're no older than 4 weeks and they really arent that big and it's been the smaller babies that have been getting out. I have 5 Turkey Poults that INSIST on being with the duckling sin the bottom so they will jump from the bottom to the top brooder all the time and i think they taught the ducklings how to do it... little boogers.

I guess it's time to build an outside pen big enough for about 30 babies! [​IMG]

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] It's amazing how "bouncy" those Scovies can be. I had 2 day olds climbing up the side of a 12" metal bucket and jumping out.... [​IMG] .. all the while I'm carrying the bucket trying to move those babies to new quarters where I had already put their momma. That was my intro into how "bouncy" little baby Scovies could be. If I need to move them, I always use a deeper bin now. [​IMG]

3. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Scovies are smart ducks [​IMG]

Lol when my scovie ducklings were born they were in the pen with the mother (since this one was in our backyard was only wire) and they managed to jump up on the tile and tumble off into the grass, ran over and cuddled up in my lap while i was trying to eat my lunch [​IMG] and the tile is quit a jump for two day old ducklings!!!!

Then the mother was let out too and she ran and jumped on my lap to eat my lunch [​IMG]
    last time i bother eating lunch with darn scovies!!

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its not just scovies... A few times lately I have had my Runners being escape artists. I had three babies in my bedroom and came home from work to find two in the box and one running around under my bed. the next morning two of them followed me when i got up in the morning- and wandered out to the kitchen.

The bigger ones in the lounge room have also managed to get out of their box too - but luckily only when I was home. I think its nearly time for them to go outside too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by