JUNE 1st Hatch: Were locked and hatching!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k2chickens, May 13, 2010.

1. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Well i was in another may thread and it was dead'er than a door nail so i decided to start my own support group thread for all you hatcher's out there who are expecting babies around the first of June. I'm cheating a little because my egg's are due the day before but it seems like every hatch i've ever done i have always had late bloomer in my clutch so the first will be my final expected date. I set 17 SQ White Bearded Silkie eggs and 25 light sussex egg's with blood lines from Braden and Bradshaw. ALL of my egg's were shipped in the mail so im hoping for the best

Now i will be posting my fair share of pictures here and i expect the same from ALL OF YOU!!! [​IMG] Pictures "make" a thread i believe so please share if you can. Just tell me what ya got and i will throw you on the list " it's always nice to come into a thread and know what everyone is expecting" On down the line i will ask everyone for their final "lockdown" numbers so we can all see what our hatch percentage's are!

kogersclutch: 25 light sussex "Bradshaw and Braden blood lines", 17 SQ White Bearded Silkies
    poularde: 8 Blue Orpingtons
    Fuffy: 5 Cream legbar and 5 buff sussex
    chickee: 15 blrw
    Shellepup: 2 bantam cochin, 12 white bantam ameraucanas, 5 red brown bantam ameraucanas, and 12 silver blue bantam ameraucanas
    sgtmck1: 5 peacock eggs, 6 duck, 24 Ameraucans, and 12 welsummer
    joeyg4583: Blue Black Splash Orpington Eggs
    CountryTXChicks: 11 mutt's and 1 Black Tailed Japaneese
    macmama: Buff Orp's and 6 SLW's
    Turner:7 Birchen Cochin bantam's
    hoppy: 8 Light sussex

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  2. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I would love to join. I just set 8 blue orpington eggs. They were shipped from a fellow byc member. This is my second hatch and these eggs look much better than my last.[​IMG] My first batch was an assortment of 24 eggs off of ebay. I am inexperienced but those eggs were not what I would pick for hatching. Extra small and some bumpy. Out of 24 eggs I hatched 9 chicks. Almost half of the eggs were clear and I suspect maybe a fertility issue or something. My new batch's air-cells seem intact and the eggs seem very uniform. I plan on candling twice for this hatch. Just before setting and day 18. We won't say how many times I candled last time.[​IMG] Maybe this could improve my hatch. I want to post pics I just need to find my camera. Moved recently and still have not found it. I can' believe I do not have any baby pics. [​IMG] I will resort to cellphone pics if I must. I hope I just find my camera. My first candling looked good. A few eggs looked a little porous but not to bad. Good luck to all the [​IMG]

3. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:Im sure you will have pictures soon. Good luck with your Orps. Now tell me, is there a difference between Lavender Orps and blue Orps???

4. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    to the top!! We need some more hatcher's in here [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  5. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Can I play?
    Due on June 4th or thereabouts

[​IMG]
    I put 5 Cream Legbar and 5 Buff Sussex under Hermione this morning

[​IMG]
    Here she is in her nursery (Before the eggs arrived)

It's our first time and we would love someone to talk to

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  6. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    What great pictures!!!!! Thank u so much for them. I would kill for one of my breeder girls to go broody. That's also awesome that i have a sussux hatching buddy in here too! Will these be your first sussex or have you been raising them?

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  7. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll join in! [​IMG] I set 15 BLRW eggs shipped from a BYC member, KinderKorner yesterday for a hatch date of June 2nd. Plus I have a dozen+ BLRW eggs coming this Wed. from Bill Braden which I will ad to the bator for my first ever split hatch [​IMG] I have six week old BLRW chicks I hatched from shipped eggs and had 9 of the 18 hatch. Average for shipped eggs, but they only traveled So. California to Northern California. The eggs that I just set yesterday when candled, had 7 with broken air sacs and 2 look pretty porous. I let them rest for 24 hrs. before putting them in the incubator and all but ones air sac was much improved! [​IMG] The first set of eggs were shipped Illinois to California and the next ones Oklahoma to California, so I don't think I'll get as good a hatch rate [​IMG] but by golly I'm going to try my best!![​IMG] I'm using a 1588 genesis with auto egg turner. Temps 99.5 to 100 degrees, and I'm keeping the humidity around 45%. My last hatch started on day 21 and it took 31 hrs. start to finish. I kept a daily journal last hatch so I could improve on my next hatch. This will be my 3rd attempt at hatching. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! [​IMG]

8. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    KoshersClutch, this is my first ever hatch of any kind [​IMG]

I got my first POLs a year ago...Started like most people just wanting some chickens [​IMG]

And then, well...4 of the 6 turned out to be bantams, which was fine but I really wanted some bigger eggs.
    And while I was at it, I wanted some different coloured eggs.
    And I had this lovely silkie cross who is never going to be a layer, but is making a fantastic Mamma! [​IMG]

The problem is the Jersey is a tiny island and tere isn't much choice, if you actually want to choose what you see out your kitchen window.
    So I got eggs sent from the Mainland, and Hermione's job within the flock is going to be to make me new young birds every spring. I am planning on keeping just one or two.
    And I have a wish list:
    Barnevelder
    Light Sussex
    Silver pencilled Wyandotte
    Silver laced Wyandotte
    Copper Marans

But I have managed to find a really nice home for 2 of the little banties, which is good. Makes more room for what I really wanted! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. sgtmck1

sgtmck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Sterling, Ok.
    I am going to the sell today already got my bator set up and running. I 12 buff operingtons chicks, and 3 RIR Roos going to sell and try to get 5 doz eggs to set.

10. k2chickens

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:good luck sellin! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by