June 7 & 10 hatch date - Update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pattyjean73, May 17, 2009.

1. pattyjean73

pattyjean73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    This is my first time hatching eggs. I've been looking forward to owning chickens for many many years and I finally get my chance. I joined BYC well over a month ago and have been reading and gleaning as much information as I could. I couldn't find chicks in the colors and breeds that I wanted so I ordered hatching eggs. A neighbor loaned me his still air hova bator. I plugged it in and got the temperature holding steady at 101 degrees. It held for more than 24 hours so I just put the eggs in this morning at 10:30am. I don't have a hydrometer. My neighbor never used one either. He just filled up the water trough every 2 or 3 days and he had great hatch rates. I'm going to follow his lead for this batch and make changes with the next one if needed. I'm crossing my fingers!

I am expecting a second batch of eggs early next week so I went and bought a LG still air incubator and have it running. Only the thermometer wasn't included in the box as it said it was so I'll have to call TSC and see if they'll get me one. If not I'll be making a trip into town to find one. Wish me luck!

Is there anyone else hatching on June 7th? Please join me.

BTW... I forgot to mention. I have 14 BBS Orpington eggs in the bator.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  2. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    [​IMG] & good luck !

3. DulcyDoll

DulcyDoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Good Luck.

I put eggs in yesterday morning, 10:30am lol.. But we will be hatching a little after you, stupid guineas like to draw things out...lol.

I'm expecting on the 11-12 of june

4. pattyjean73

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Thanks to both of you... and good luck on the guineas

5. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

The 7th is my birthday!
    But no, I'm not hatching then....although, there's just enough time, and I can get some nice Wyandotte eggs from my friend....

6. pattyjean73

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Noone hatching June 7th or there around?

7. Dotshines

Dotshines Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    McAlpin, Fl
    I just put in 18 blue and blue/barred rock eggs. I also put in 2 from my favorite hen, Peep, she is a RIR. tomorrow I pick up eggs from the post office that I ordered, they are welsummer eggs. This is my third hatch and I can't wait already. [​IMG]

8. pattyjean73

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    48 hours and all seem to be doing well so far. I've turned 3 times a day nearly on schedule each time and my temp is staying at 101 (still air).

I have my LG set up and trying to get the temp regulated but I'm having trouble with it. I'm checking temp on that one every 8 hours when I'm turning my eggs in the Hova. If I turn is down slightly it'll drop to 96 and 98 and if I turn it up even a hair it jumps up to 103 to 105. I have eggs coming in either today or tomorrow and I'm needed to get that temp regulated before putting them in. Any suggestions on how to regulate LG temps? Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

9. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Good luck on the hatch, i have some due to hatch the 30th.

Also, i had to post when i saw your user name, my name is Patti Jean and I was born in 78...lol

10. pattyjean73

Apr 13, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Yay! My second shipment came in today. They all unwrapped and "resting". I'll pop them in the bator either late tonight or in the morning depending on when I can get the LG temp regulated.

LOL... nice to meet a fellow Patty (Patti) Jean. Most everyone excpet my family call me PJ. Lazy Missourians! ha ha We are all originally from Tennessee where many people go by their first and middle name. Moved to MO and everyone shortened it to PJ. I don't mind though, I actually prefer it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by