June Beetles

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TheSpiceGirls, Sep 13, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    OMG, My Jersey Giant is eating June Beetles. [​IMG]

I've had my suspicions because I'm finding bits of the green iridescent wings in droppings in their run.

DH confirmed it today. Said she just went after it. Caught it, it got away, she caught it again, again it got away but she finally got a good hold of it and chocked it down.

2. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    Yeah - great treats, those beetles. Yum. Unfortunately, there's no way for the beetles to get into the run with out a little help. I hate those beetles eating my figs, so I catch 'em and toss 'em to the girls - they love 'em.

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I gave mine a large beetle once and it was hysterical! They kept trying to play keep away but the beetle's shell was hard and the darn thing kept popping out of each one's beak. It was like watching a football game with the ball squirting out of the hands of each player and the whole pack trying to get to it at once.

4. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Sounds like an Australian rugby match!

5. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    mine eat them, they LOVE them, so crunchy and gooey, BUT REVOLTING [​IMG]
    They'll live... EWWWWWWW

6. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Quote:Mine do that too!

7. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:YES revolting!!! [​IMG]

Someone else told me that their girls slurp down the grubs too. My girls were too small this past winter to show any interest in the grubs but I guess I have that to look forward to this winter.

8. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Those darned June beatles just loved my eggplant this year! GRRR! I should have put one of my chickens in the garden! [​IMG]

9. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Oh, yes, put the hens out as sentries and you will have no trouble w/ June Beetles.

I'm AMAZED at how many bugs they can eat. We only have the three hens and I've been concerned what we'll do when they are too old to lay eggs but my thoughts have changed because they will still be my pesticide patrol and fertilizer makers for my garden, whether or not they are making me eggs.

10. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    I think the saying, "Like a duck on a Junebug" is close enough to apply here. [​IMG]

Wade

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by