Jungle fowl? Any knowledge welcome.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cityfarmer12, Nov 9, 2016.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I rescued a little rooster from a bad situation with two other hens. The other breeds were easy to identify as a easter egger and a production red, but i am having trouble with the little rooster. From what can tell, he seems like a Indian junglefowl (or a domestic version of the jungle fowl) but ive never seen junglefowl in person, and i am skeptical of getting such a bird at the place i got him at.He is about 1.5 pounds and less than half the size of my layers. Im guessing he is about a year old based on his spurs and what ive seem in other roosters ive had, but this is just a wild guess. He also has this funny white tuft of feathers at the base of his tail that is really soft and fluffy. There is more information about where i got him and his personality below the pictures. Any thoughts out ideas about breed or any experience with jungle fowl is greatly appreciated :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got him from a backyard hobby farmer when i went to get geese. Things were cramped, and they had hundreds of birds in a tiny backyard. Needless to say, i went home with more duck, and more chickens along with the geese. They had everything there. Silkies, polish, RIRs, easter eggers, brahmas, leghorns, orpingtons...you name it. I got him because he was sort of drepressed looking in a corner, and had a beautiful and unsual color.

Now, about him. Ive guessed him to be about a year old, based on spurs and comparing their growth to other roosters ive raised. Thats just a guess though, i don't know for sure. He is really small, maybe 1.5 pounds or so. Less than half the size of my layers. ive had him for like a month, and i discovered he hates to be with the other chickens. He spent his time hiding in different spots, and then darting forward to grab a bite of food, but if another chicken went toward him, he would freak, drop the food and go hide again. he was also of course, terrified of humans. These antics kept up for a few days. He also never went into the coop. Every night i would go hunt him down and find him perched in a tree somewhere. Also he never crowed once.

So, after a bit he seemed to get worse and so i brought him into the house for a few days. The change was dramatic. He turned into a food hound, and loves me to death...i swear, sometimes he is more affectionate than my dogs. He follows me everywhere and is always making little noises at me and dancing around. He will sit on my shoulder for hours, explores the highest reaches of the house, and spends hour scratching the dirt and running around outside in the backyard (not where the chickens are). He easily wears a little homemade diaper, and even accepts a harness now after a little conditioning. A little bit ago i took him to petco and he perched on my arm and tolerated petting by curious shoppers. He still doesnt crow, but makes all sorts of little goofy noises. I let him go out with the other chickens the other day, and he got all freaky again. He came charging at me the second he saw the birds, and flew up on my head and sat there, staring at the monsters. The other birds hadn't even seen him yet. He is the first bird ive had that wants to be away from the chickens.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I just get a hunch that your rooster is a young cockerel. That may be why he is afraid of the general hen population, and not yet crowing. I think you did a GREAT THING RESCUING him and all those extra fowl. [​IMG]
    I only once had a red jungle fowl, but it was a hen. I cant keep roosters. They do look different so I'm not sure of your roo.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm so glad you took him inside, giving him a place to thrive & safety in the house. I think either he had a very abusive beginning- maybe dumped with a bunch of older , bigger birds that terrorized him. Or he didn't receive any kind of socialization.

He is the cutest little rascal. I like him so much already, I wouldn't care what breed he turns out to be. I'm sorry I know nothing about jungle fowl. But, you could put that term in the search box and see what comes up. Maybe there are others that look a lot like him.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    He's a very young cockerel, gold duckwing OEGB... may be mixed though since his earlobes have white and his color is not quite correct for GDW... beautiful young boy... they are super friendly...

Btw, junglefowl have a dewlap (single wattle) instead of 2 like domestic fowl... :)

5. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Awesome, thank you guys! Yup, I love him no matter what he is. Makes since that he's younger...yay!

OEGBs are really neat! I've always wanted one...thanks for the ideas! Makes since.

Yes, I'm glad he's not being bullied anymore. He will always have a place where in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by