Jungle Fowl Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Madra Olc, May 5, 2011.

1. Madra Olc

Madra Olc Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Prague, OK
    Hi All,
    I have a delima, I have 3 pairs of shamos and 3 pair of Saipan Jungle Fowl. Now none of them have gotten to the age where they want to fight with each other yet but i want to have a new coop built for when they do. The problem is i cant find any information on coops for game fowl. All coop designs are centered around laying or meat hens. Those can run together in one big happy family but from what i read once these guys mature a little more im going to have fights on my hands. What i was thinking was maybe a chicken barn around 30' long with 6 indoor roosting spots w/ nest boxes, feeders, waters ect. and each will lead outside to 6 small yards. Is all this necessary this is my first go with game chickens and i want to be prepared.

Thanks

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    [​IMG] from AZ! Jungle Fowl are really pretty, youre lucky! Well, if you raise them from chicks all together, they should find a natural dominance. Top roo will minimally fight with the others just to say "im in charge" and then everyone else will fall into the pecking order. Give them lots of space to hide and fly, make it very natural (like where they would be if they were back in the jungle ie: roosts as trees, hidey-holes, etc) but im no expert, never raised them, this is just Tanichca chicken sense [​IMG]
    [​IMG] We are very glad to have you on here!

3. Madra Olc

Madra Olc Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    Prague, OK
    Thank ya thank ya,

Im excited i love reading the forums now i can be a part of them. [​IMG] and thats what i hope happens but idk i want to be prepared. and i dont want individual barrel style pins for them. lol in oklahoma they have those all over and look kinda trashy and miss treated

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am looking into getting shamo and have been told they will fight to the death....don't know that I would want to risk that but maybe someone more experienced will tell you more.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by