Jungle Fowl hybreds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by phasianidae, Nov 26, 2010.

1. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Does anyone have crosses between different races of jungle fowl? pictures and discussion welcome.

2. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I do not have any though I am considering getting some grey or green jungle fowl. Neither do well in cold climates and are pretty expensive. A pair of green jungle fowl will cost you about $600 and greys not that much less. Here is a thread that shows a few hybrids and some interesting info.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=402512&p=2

3. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Yeah maybe they wouldn't do to well in MN

4. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I believe neither of those do well near domestic fowl, being very susceptible to any pathogens that are found associated with domestic fowl, but which the domestics are typically able to fend off. I don't mean to discourage you, it's just something you need to be aware of.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  5. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:Thanks, I know Grey and Red Jungle Fowl cross the best with domestic fowl.

6. Redcatcher

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    Quote:Thanks, I know Grey and Red Jungle Fowl cross the best with domestic fowl.

Not necessarily. The Bekisar is probably the most popular hybrid which is a green and red jungle fowl cross. But that could be subjective due to geographical location. For the northern climates, you would probably want to cross them with domestic fowls.

Funny thing is that they were used as living foghorns. From Feathersite "....boat cultures [who] used the vociferous hybrids to literally stay in vocal distance from one another when separated by the frequent tropical squalls that one experiences in these seas. To this day one finds Bekisars in Java and Komodo contentedly perched in their bamboo cages hoisted above the fishing boats."

If jungle fowl have been raised among domestic fowl, they are no more susceptible to pathogens than domestic fowl. Only wild caught jungle fowl should be kept separate.

This hybrid appear to be a gamefowl cross because his station is pretty upright.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  7. Redcatcher

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    double post. sorry

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  8. gino

gino Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I’m from Boise Idaho, which I imagine has slightly gentler climate than where you are in MN. I have Grey Jungle Fowl. This is my first year, but they appear to be doing well. I do have heat from my coup and I don’t let them out if its below freezing. When I was looking for my chickens I contacted a guy in MN who was trying to raise them, but gave up. He said they didn’t do well there. I’m not sure why.

Not sure of your reasons for crossing the birds, but I do know that another guy I contacted in the north east was raising a cross that he used for fly tying feathers. From the picture that I saw on like it looked like he was getting some real nice saddle hackles going on his crossed breeds.

9. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hybrids between Grey junglefowl and longtail chickens. The F1 rooster was from a male Grey Junglefowl and a female Red Phoenix. I bred that F1 rooster to a number of mixed longtail hens. All of the F2s are quirky and skittish, like a grey junglefowl, and the roosters all have an abbreviated crow that sounds a lot like a grey's crow. most of the roosters show a good deal of the grey's feather texture and shape, but show very little of the feather color. The hens all have funky markings although they are very "duckwing-ish" They are wonderful birds for the yard and are very wary of strangers and predators. Some even have nice long full tails from the phoenix and yokohama in the background.

Here is a picture of the F1 rooster.

[​IMG]

10. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:Have you tried the reverse cross? chicken male * GJF female and then backcross a male to GJF female.
    Anything on fertility?

Please elaborate, very interesting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by