Jungle fowl thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by toejam, Nov 26, 2010.

1. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    Well, I got 2 pairs of red jungle fowl a few weeks ago at the ohio nationals and I didnt see a jungle fowl thread. So Ill start one [​IMG]
    Ill try to get pics up soon( Its been raining bad here)

Discuss any thing jungle fowl related, post pics of any of your jungle fowl, likes/ dislikes, or learn about jungle fowl for beginners(like me)

2. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I am interested in buying Grey Jungle Fowl if anyone has them.

3. gino

gino Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Did you find your grey jungle fowl? I got some last year from a guy in Texas. Let me know if you're still interested I'll look up his contact info.

Gino

4. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:That would be great, thanks.

5. gino

gino Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I was able to get two hens from this guy. He was very good to work with. They cost $60.00 each plus shipping (last year). I really liked working with him. If you contact him let him know the two hens he sent to Idaho are doing well, that one of them laid four eggs last year, that two hatched and one survived. Good luck.

Al Novosad
    979-836-8991
    He is in Chappell Hill, Texas

Gino

6. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Thank you.

7. gino

gino Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    Did you ever get your jungle fowl? Here is a picture of my rooster and son:

[​IMG]

8. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    I am still checking into it, I am just not sure how well they would do in my climate.

9. gino

gino Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I have heard it both ways. I'm from Boise, Idaho and it can get cold here...sometimes down to zero degrees. It can remain 10 degrees for a week or two at a time. When I got my grey jungle fowl last year I played it safe. I insulated my coop, I kept them in when it was below 40 degrees. I have a heater and keep the thermostate at 45 degrees....

Since then I have learned that they are a lot more hardy then I thought. I think that above 20 degrees range is probably where you would want to keep them, and maybe a heat lamp to keep them from getting too cold. I feel like I have been really spoiling my chickens. And according to at least one owner, that isn't necessarily a good thing for them either.

So for what its worth I'd say get them if you think you can keep them above 20 degrees. I know there are parts of MN where that may be challenging....

10. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Quote:Such pretty birds. Do jungle fowl lay like other chickens or only during a month or so out of the year?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by