Jungle Fowl with PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jprice2ndlt, Jul 27, 2010.

1. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I had a guy give me a couple of Jungle Fowl,Does anyone have any of these? I was wondering how big they get and if there eggs were worth eating. I will try to post pics in a few mins.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    I think these are all girls they are 3 months old and the combs are super small. Any help would be appericated.

3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    As far as I know, jungle fowl don't get very big. I'd imagine they would look and taste like quail when processed.

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Red&Yellow :

As far as I know, jungle fowl don't get very big. I'd imagine they would look and taste like quail when processed.

Actually I think they would taste like chicken [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ha, sorry, just couldn't stop myself.

To the original poster: I've had a few, their eggs taste like any chicken egg.​

5. De

De Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Camden,AR
    They are not a big chicken, but not a bantam...lay ok, but they make very very good moms will hatch anything that you put under them...I let mine have guinea eggs this year and they did very good with them...they do fly good... most of mine are out in the yard...have one hatching today, this is her 2 litter of the year...

6. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    look at the topic 'does anyone know what breed these 2 hens are?' by goldenchocolate

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2010
  7. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    We have real wild red junglefowl all over the place here, and these little birds look a little too long in the legs (for the age) compared to what we have. It might be that the 'junglefowl' in the US are not quite the same as the original ones here.

Female junglefowl don't have any wattles or comb, not even the tiniest bit.

They look like the right color for females perhaps a little light but they seem to have small combs.
    I can't quite tell from the pictures but do they have grey legs (not yellow or green) ?

Their eggs are bigger than Japanese Bantam eggs but not quite as big as standard store eggs.
    They are slightly larger (to look at) than Japanese Bantams, but with longer legs and they carry nearly twice as much meat.
    The birds are extremely tasty, like proper chicken, when we've not got any Jap cockerels in freezer camp we shoot these with slingshots (only the females - the boys are just too beautiful, especially in flight).

If they are red junglefowl and they turn out to be boys, you are in for a real treat - if they are girls then you couldn't get a much dowdier chicken, but good at raising chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by