jungle fowl

Mazhar Awan

Chirping
Sep 29, 2017
can any one tell me, how can we inhance the sexual power of male fowls in off season. i have red jungle fowl male, i want to mate this male with domestice chiken female in oct to december. it it posible for red jungle fowl to mate in off season, and how can we increase the sexual desire in jungle fowl male

Chickens are not like mammals wherein the females or males have to come into "season."

If you have a young, healthy male, he will want to mate any time of day or season.

Your hen likewise, if young and healthy, will mate, a bit less willing if the male is too eager, but any time of day or season.

If you artificially incubate the eggs, you could hatch pretty much year round.

Hens often lay less frequently in the shorter days of winter. Their eggs are not less fertile, but there are simply fewer eggs to gather, which reduces the amount of chicks you can hatch simply due to the fewer eggs.

A rooster (including your Red Jungle Fowl) can mate once with a hen, and she will remain fertilized for at least 2 weeks, sometimes longer. She has a pouch inside that hold the sperm. As eggs develop, they are fertilized by the sperm in the hens little pouch.

If you have an especially fluffy type hen or rooster, then the feather fluff can reduce fertility simply because the vents of the rooster and the hen do not meet fully. (A rooster does not have a male appendage to insert into the hen).

So there is no season to create a more fertile male. Maintaining good overall health in your roosters and hens will make for fertile eggs.

Also, using breeding stock from age of maturity (6 to 8 months) to 2 years of age will ensure better results. Many roosters remain fertile for up to 5 to 7 years of age, though slowing obviously.

Hens are most fertile from point of lay until 2 or 3 years of age. Often you see egg quality issues in the older hen as well as less frequent laying. However, if the older hen is still laying good eggs, likely they are fertile.

You can check fertility of the eggs by cracking one open. You should see a bullseye on the yolk indicating a fertilized blastoderm (the hen's genetic spot on the egg).

Fresh eggs are best to incubate. Fertility in the egg is reduced the older it gets. Set eggs within 7 days of laying for best results.

HTH
LofMc

One last thought, your timing of October to December hits at a season when most hens slow in laying or cease altogether due to molting.

That may slow your program down considerably.

If the hen is molting, she won't begin laying until her feather growth is completed.

LofMc

EDITED TO ADD: sorry, I'm used to responding to chicken keeper in the Northern Hemisphere...if you are in the Southern Hemisphere wherein your spring-summer is October to December, then you are breeding at the correct time for hens to lay the best...and if you are lucky...someone may also brood for you.

can any one tell me, how can we inhance the sexual power of male fowls in off season. i have red jungle fowl male, i want to mate this male with domestice chiken female in oct to december. it it posible for red jungle fowl to mate in off season, and how can we increase the sexual desire in jungle fowl male
We can assume your assumption the wild bird does have a discrete breeding season. If correct, you can get him feeling randy out of season by providing a photoperiod during the interval you want mating that approximates the summer solstice. My guess is it will take a couple weeks of the extended photoperiod before hormonal changes kick in. Intentensity may me an issue as well do give him as many lumens as you can. I would even make certain you provide the proper spectrum that has lots of blues in it.

We can assume your assumption the wild bird does have a discrete breeding season. If correct, you can get him feeling randy out of season by providing a photoperiod during the interval you want mating that approximates the summer solstice. My guess is it will take a couple weeks of the extended photoperiod before hormonal changes kick in. Intentensity may me an issue as well do give him as many lumens as you can. I would even make certain you provide the proper spectrum that has lots of blues in it.
Thank u,
may we activate the hormones by giving him any suplement

Chickens are not like mammals wherein the females or males have to come into "season."

If you have a young, healthy male, he will want to mate any time of day or season.

Your hen likewise, if young and healthy, will mate, a bit less willing if the male is too eager, but any time of day or season.

If you artificially incubate the eggs, you could hatch pretty much year round.

Hens often lay less frequently in the shorter days of winter. Their eggs are not less fertile, but there are simply fewer eggs to gather, which reduces the amount of chicks you can hatch simply due to the fewer eggs.

A rooster (including your Red Jungle Fowl) can mate once with a hen, and she will remain fertilized for at least 2 weeks, sometimes longer. She has a pouch inside that hold the sperm. As eggs develop, they are fertilized by the sperm in the hens little pouch.

If you have an especially fluffy type hen or rooster, then the feather fluff can reduce fertility simply because the vents of the rooster and the hen do not meet fully. (A rooster does not have a male appendage to insert into the hen).

So there is no season to create a more fertile male. Maintaining good overall health in your roosters and hens will make for fertile eggs.

Also, using breeding stock from age of maturity (6 to 8 months) to 2 years of age will ensure better results. Many roosters remain fertile for up to 5 to 7 years of age, though slowing obviously.

Hens are most fertile from point of lay until 2 or 3 years of age. Often you see egg quality issues in the older hen as well as less frequent laying. However, if the older hen is still laying good eggs, likely they are fertile.

You can check fertility of the eggs by cracking one open. You should see a bullseye on the yolk indicating a fertilized blastoderm (the hen's genetic spot on the egg).

Fresh eggs are best to incubate. Fertility in the egg is reduced the older it gets. Set eggs within 7 days of laying for best results.

HTH
LofMc
Thank u,
I am not a zoologist, I am a doctoriate in botany, but i want to re-introduce the red jungle fowl in subtropical and tropical forests of my country Pakistan, where they r present in past, now in Pakistan, the red jungle fowl is found in only one locality in wild. so i want to re-introduce them again by crossing with english game females, which similar in color to jungle fowl females.

Interesting project.

Centrachid is correct that true wild birds will have a mating season. I misunderstood your original question, assuming you meant Red Jungle Fowl domesticated game breed, not truly wild birds in the jungle still.

Therefore, managing lighting would help.

I'm not sure how breeding the domesticated English Game hens will help the jungle fowl. It could help or hurt their longevity. Many game breeds, if the line is chosen carefully, are more "wild type," but some have been overly domesticated.

That could make the Red Jungle Fowl less hardy in a truly wild situation. I know that in America it is illegal to let domestic turkeys run loose near wild turkey because when they mate, it causes deterioration in the hardiness of the wild turkey. (But then, the domesticated turkey is a pretty dumb animal from all the genetic selection for the commercial growing industry).

I've not read studies on this, so it would be interesting to hear how your project works out.

You may learn some avian tips from those working with endangered species. I know they do things to help with mating and chick development. Perhaps one of the zoos has some advice?

Good luck to your endeavors.

LofMc

Thank u,
I am not a zoologist, I am a doctoriate in botany, but i want to re-introduce the red jungle fowl in subtropical and tropical forests of my country Pakistan, where they r present in past, now in Pakistan, the red jungle fowl is found in only one locality in wild. so i want to re-introduce them again by crossing with english game females, which similar in color to jungle fowl females.

I am a big time advocate of game chickens but recommend strongly against introducing hybrids into wild. Two things of particular concern; first the domestic genes will dilute wild bird genes, and second the Red Jungle Fowl used needs to be of the correct subspecies. Normally, management of wild populations I would expect to be the responsibility of the state (Pakistan or its providences / territories). Another concern is, what are you calling English Game females. If the bantams, they are good only for looks and would be particularly damaging to the population they are used to found.

Effort also needs to involve introducing many birds at once to ensure they can find each to mate after the predators kill many and disperse some as well.

I am a big time advocate of game chickens but recommend strongly against introducing hybrids into wild. Two things of particular concern; first the domestic genes will dilute wild bird genes, and second the Red Jungle Fowl used needs to be of the correct subspecies. Normally, management of wild populations I would expect to be the responsibility of the state (Pakistan or its providences / territories). Another concern is, what are you calling English Game females. If the bantams, they are good only for looks and would be particularly damaging to the population they are used to found.

Effort also needs to involve introducing many birds at once to ensure they can find each to mate after the predators kill many and disperse some as well.

thank u,
i think every citizen of any country is the part of country and state, so it is resposibility of everyone to take part in the development of country and environment.
i am uploading the picture of my english game, this pair have the ability to fly an also have the property of broodiness and hatching eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    835.7 KB · Views: 27

Back
Top Bottom