jungle fowl

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fowlsessed, Nov 22, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I am trying to raise some poultry with the minimal imput posible. So guineas of course are on my list, But I was thinking about chickens and came to the conclusion that they need a little bit more than I would like to put into them. I am a vegan so I don't eat the eggs or meat, therefor they are more like pets, although I do plan on selling some keets and chicks. Anyway the reson for this post is to ask about junglefowl. Do they need less care than chickens but still be able to be raised freerange returning too the coop at night or will they be like gamebirds and go wild. Also, any other birds that you may recommend for my experiment. I plan on only feeding aditional feed other than kitchen scraps during the cooler months of the year. Any addvice is welcome. thanks

2. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    The stable where I keep my horses is full of jungle fowl. There is no coop and never has been. They roost in the trees and rafters. Occasionally they get thown some scratch feed. They also multiply very well!! When we have barbeques they all get their share of scraps too!! They really need minimal care and do so well. We are in Southern CA though, so the weather is never that severe.[​IMG] Good luck in your endeavor!

3. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    jungle fowl are wild birds they are known to fly away if they are allowed to free range, they can catch diseases from domesticated chickens and they do not do well in cold weather. but if you want a bird that will do well at free ranging then i suggest game chickens like American games and birds of similar or related breeds. you can also get Mediterranean birds like leghorns and other birds of that family, the only problem with them is that they have big combs so if you happen to live in the colder climates, their combs can get frostbite

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by