Junglefowl? New pics added.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cejunes, Aug 6, 2010.

1. cejunes

cejunes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    I picked these up today from someone on craigslist. They said they couldn't remember what breed they were but that they were a pure bred bird. They are a little over a month old. I've never seen anything quite like them. Any ideas? Please... I'm pretty sure that whatever they are, that I have a male and a female. Just looking for some backup on that one.

Number 1 (I think it's a she)

[​IMG]

Number 2 (I think it's a he)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  2. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Breed I don't know, but Yes 1boy and 1girl. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Definitely a pair. Are they bantams???

4. cejunes

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    No, I don't think so. The guy said they are not quite 5 weeks old and they are pretty good size. My bantams at 5 weeks were less than half this size.

5. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    modern games mabye?

6. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:That is what I think they look like too, although I am not sure about that coloring.

7. cejunes

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    Okay.. the wife of the guy I got them from just called me back and told me they are junglefowl. How do I know if that is what they really are or not? She doesn't know if they came from the same parents or not? Should I let them breed or not? Can they be kept with my regular flock of chickens or do they need special care? Please help!

8. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Quote:Jungle fowl can breed with, and live with other chickens. They may need a little more protein in their diet though but nothing big. I would look up pics of Red Jungle Fowl to compare. They mostly look like mini brown leghorns.

9. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    I was on the other topic about the same birds - two threads - same topic - naughty, naughty.
    You should ask a moderator to close the other thread.

Here's what I said earlier....
    It's kinda hard to tell the size (it looks a bit big next to the cup) but it looks a lot like our buff Japanese Bantam chicks at about eight weeks (ish) but it doesn't have a black tail (but then not all of them do). If it is a JB, then it's also a boy and will probably turn out very pretty. I like the dark ones, rather than the Black Tailed Whites.

Are the legs grey or dark green - I can't tell [​IMG]<- I'm using this to represent Stevie Wonder rather than 'cool'

and then
    Dark grey legs could indicate red junglefowl as you have been told. Not a guarantee though.

It'd be nice if you could post a follow up in a couple of months.

And here's some more....

True red jungle fowl females don't have combs at all, so the top is either a male or you have some other genetic material mixed in (I didn't even notice they weren't the same bird at first (Stevie Wonder again [​IMG] ).

They do look like jungle fowl chicks with the big black stripe through the eye, and now I know they are five weeks old then the size would be about right, bigger than a bantam, smaller than a 'chicken'. I would have expected a dark diamond on their heads but it could have grown out by now.

If they have a lot of jungle fowl in them they are going to be beautiful.​

10. cejunes

Jul 14, 2010
    Post Falls, ID
    New pics of the pair at 6 weeks.

The pair: It might be kind of hard to tell, but I see red coming in on the back feathers, black on the tail feathers, and a golden color on the neck feathers of one of them. The other is pretty uniform in color.

[​IMG]

The one I think is a girl:

[​IMG]

The boy:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by