~Junglefowl Thread!~

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BobwhiteQuailLover, Feb 21, 2011.

1. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Who has Jungle fowl?? I want some, are they easy?

Thanks

This is for talking about JUNGLE FOWL ONLY! [​IMG]

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Ohh I'm looking forward to this thread! There is a trio of jungle-fowl on featherauction.com and a pair of grey junglefowl there too!

3. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    COOL!
    I lOVE the Grey's!

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Anyone?

5. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    We raise the Grey Jungle Fowl, I haven't found it any harder then raising Exotic Pheasant. We should have some for sale this year if everything works out right they will be $100.00 a pair.

[​IMG]

6. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    I have some red jungle fowl i got at the ohio nationals. I dont breed yet.

7. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have any pures at the moment, but I have a whole lot of chickens that are 1/4 Grey Junglefowl, and you can sure see it in them. very interesting birds.

click to see a video of one of my roosters.

8. BobwhiteQuailLover

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Purdy! [​IMG]
    I am hoping to get a pair this spring.
    Do they crow like a rooster?

9. gino

gino Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    [​IMG]

I have four grey jungle fowl. I started with three last spring. One of my hens laid four eggs, two hatched, one survived. They seem to like Boise, Idaho. Its cold here so I give them a heated coup and keep them in when its below freezing. Very restless birds, especially the cocks. They haven't been too difficult, I guess the comparison to pheasants is probably pretty close. I haven't raised pheasants but I know that jungle fowl are a bit wild and they can fly. They require a higher protein diet and like to perch high. They scratch more then regular chickens. As far as crowing goes I have heard that they can make a lot of noise, but mine have not. I believe that is because there isn't any other cocks around for him to talk to. I have heard his crow a couple of times, but usually in the morning. It sounds more like a dog yelp than a regular chicken.

The surviving chick from last year was a cock and I think he may have to leave this summer. I may also have some chicks by mid summer as well, but will probably raise them for a few months. Let me know if you're interested.

10. gino

gino Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I found this link and it give a very practicle insight into raising grey jungle fowl. Note that if you live a northern climate (as I do) you should provide heat for them. While they are pretty hardy I don't think they would do well below 20 degrees. Likewise, I have heard that hey don't do well in dry climates. I live in Boise, which is a desert, so I try to bring up the humidity in their run with misters and lots of water. Hope this helps.

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=69.0;wap2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by