Juniper Tree & Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jgcalifornia, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jgcalifornia

jgcalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    I cant narrow down exactly what kind of Juniper Tree we have, but the Chickens absolutely love the berries.
    From what I could find, they are okay, but just want to make sure, 100% the berries are ok.
    Also, are they beneficial as well? Or just a tasty treat?

Any info is appreciated, thank you!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Can you post a picture of the tree for us to take a look? I think if the chickens eat it - and have been with no sign of problems - all should be fine. Good luck to you!

3. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    of course, thanks for the reply! Here are 4 pics. Most of the Juniper tress Ive been seeing look way more "piney".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If they eat it as free choice, it probably is safe. Evolution tends to cull the stupid animals.

Chris

5. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    I have yet to meet a stupid animal.

Human's though, I can't seem to get through a day without interacting with one.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. FenikT

FenikT Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Looks to be a Yew of some type. Take a peek at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxus_baccata. I recall my mom had several Yew bushes at her house and used to comment the birds enjoyed the berries. Given the above link, seems birds are relied upon to spread the seeds through ingestion of the berries.

8. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks for the info.
    The pics of the Yew although similar, look very different from our tree. The trunk alone & bark are very different.
    Also, for some reason, the berries on our's seem to grow in two's, with one of them always staying smaller & harder, not quite a berry.
    Do you not think it is a Juniper?
    thanks for the help!!

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's not the junipers I've known, those are an evergreen with needles. I don't know what your tree is.

10. jgcalifornia

Sep 18, 2012
    Thanks to Linda, over at Tree People, this tree is successfully identified as [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Podocarpus Macrophyllus[/FONT].
    YEW PINE Podocarpus macrophyllus to be exact. (but oddly enough, not a yew or a pine).

The fruit, known as aril, no problem for the chickens, however the seed is poisonous.

http://selectree.calpoly.edu/treede...ession=selectree:634CBBB102b051958AvLP126EE83

thank you everyone!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by