Junk food junkies or hunger strikers?

MaryZoe

Songster
6 Years
Jun 26, 2016
Naples, FL
I have a couple lovely little Appenzaller Spitzhauben hens and their hubby (all young--not even a year old). The hens are not famously good layers, but they were laying for a while. I have the three of them in a 20' x 15' enclosure with a "tiny home" in the center where they perch and sleep at night, so they have a nice setup. I used to sprinkle some "frosting" (a blend of cat food, scratch and sunflower seeds) on top of their chicken feed, as these guys tend to be fussy eaters. But I soon noticed that they were only eating the frosting--they left about 90% of the actual feed in the bowl. So I stopped adding the mix and just gave them chicken feed. They stopped laying. I think it may be a hunger strike, but my hubby says I just created junk food junkies. It's been over a week now since they laid an eggs. I see no signs of other causes of lower production, such as worms or the like. But perhaps I should worm them anyway? Thoughts? Thanks.

Yeah, you made junk food junkies out of them! Their main diet should be a layer feed or at least a 20% protein finisher feed. Treats should be in moderation and should be semi-nutritious. Corn (scratch) is ok once in awhile, but not daily and I don't think cat food should be given often either. The sunflower seeds are good! Give them treats like cabbage, lettuce, yogurt and a few grains. Limit treats to every other day. Corn makes chickens fat and can kill them. If they don't get nutrition, they don't lay. Of course, it is possible that they are not laying for another reason. Stress will do that. If they are being pestered by predators or a barking dog or something new that is scaring them, they will stop laying. Go talk to them and ask them what's up????? Seriously, be sure they get proper nutrition. Are they bored? Hang cabbage on a rope so they have to jump to get it. Give them a pat of rice straw, they love to tear it up looking for those little hidden pieces of rice! Good Luck! :)

Argh. I do know to keep treats to a minimum. Even when I sprinkled it on their food I made sure it was well less than 10% of what I fed them. They just chose it eat it and only it. The cat food is high in fat and protein. I have heard chicken people swear that it helps jumpstart laying, which seemed to be my experience as well. These little Spitzhauben are so skinny that I thought a little extra fat wouldn't hurt, anyway. I don't think they have much stress, but who knows what happens when I'm at work.... I may look for some of that rice straw. Never heard of it! Thanks for your suggestion.

Argh. I do know to keep treats to a minimum. Even when I sprinkled it on their food I made sure it was well less than 10% of what I fed them. They just chose it eat it and only it. The cat food is high in fat and protein. I have heard chicken people swear that it helps jumpstart laying, which seemed to be my experience as well. These little Spitzhauben are so skinny that I thought a little extra fat wouldn't hurt, anyway. I don't think they have much stress, but who knows what happens when I'm at work.... I may look for some of that rice straw. Never heard of it! Thanks for your suggestion.
I knew that you knew all that! The rice straw is great because it's very soft and I use it in the nest boxes as well. There is also bean straw with beans in it and other types with things for the chickens to find. The bean straw is very un-soft so I prefer rice straw!

Back
Top Bottom