Jurastic Park Chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eggie and Me, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Last night the girls woke me up, they were freaking out about something. Their brooder is in our bedroom. Yeah, I know first time Mom. [​IMG] There was a TINY flying thing in their brooder and I kid you NOT it was like watching Jurastic Park. [​IMG] They were ALL making this strange noise and they circled this poor flying thing and I COULDN'T believe my eyes. One of the babies caught it and before I could close my mouth she inhaled it!! It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. They actually chased this thing around in their brooder, cornered it and consumed it!! [​IMG] Mind you they are only 9 days old TODAY..... Gee, are my girls advanced for their age or is this normal?? [​IMG]

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Mine are the same way (around a 1.5 wks today)... I bought some crickets for them (and some grit [​IMG] ) and they INHALED them. It's so funny to watch them play cricket soccer/football. One of the chicks will catch one and immediately start running like crazy to keep it away from the other chicks. soooo cute [​IMG]

3. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    [​IMG] Mine will go crazy thinking a dust fluff is a bug sometimes. It is very funny to watch.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Wait till they find their first worm. [​IMG]

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Oh they LOVE bugs! I read somewhere about chicks and bugs... and it's so true: "A live bug will cause mass hysteria in the brooder." I love the way they FREAK OUT until someone gets brave enough to take a bite! Silly chicks. Then they play football and tug of war until it's either eaten or everyone has ripped a piece off.

6. Eggie and Me

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    The whole situation reminded me of Jurastic Park 3 when the people are walking across the bridge and these vicious birds come out of no where..... [​IMG] I just know that poor flying thing felt it's little life flash before it's own eyes. Gosh am I sick or what, [​IMG] this was just such great entertainment, even though it was 2 A.M.[​IMG]

7. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    What age can you pop a cricket or meal worm in there?

Mine are only 4 days old...but I do want them to learn the ways of bug kill'n for future free range days. [​IMG]

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    they are really hysterical- i had my little dog in my lap, trying to let her see what i was doing in that room, suddenly my months start slowly fanning out and working there way towards her... i put her out- they made her VERY uncomfortable! i have watched our BA slowly creep towards the door where the dog is and looks like she'd love to gulp her down....

9. Eggie and Me

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:I've been wondering that also. Notice in quote the mention of grit. I am assuming (dangerous word) that introducing grit is done at the same time as crickets and or worms??? I'm looking for some good advice on this one also...[​IMG]

10. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    Mine were the complete opposite..there was a bug flying around and they were SCREAMING and running to the opposite side of the brooder...back and forth. It was hysterical, although I was thinking, "aren't you supposed to eat these things?" [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by