jus geting sarted..help me !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by staplehead, Nov 13, 2010.

1. staplehead

staplehead Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2010
    georgia
    i have built a 12' X 12" CHICKEN COOP...I HAVE 4 G.L. WYONDOTTES 4 S.L. WYONDOTTES..4 SPECKLED SUSSEX...2 R.I.R..2 OLD ENGLISH HENS..1 OLD ENGLISH ROO...HOW HIGH DO I BUILD THE NEST BOXES OFF THE GROUND...HOW MANY NEST BOXES...I GUESS WHAT IM ASKING IS HOW TO DESIGN THE INSIDE OF COOP....THE COOP IS COMPLETLY INCLOSED...THEY HAVE A 25 X 25 FOOT RUN TO PLAY IN...NEED INPUT WITH INTERIOR DESIGN..[​IMG]

2. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    ok, if my math is correct you have fifteen hens. The recommended number is anywhere 3-5 hens per nest. I'd say that you can go with three nest boxes.

Build them anywhere from 18-30 inches off the ground. Maybe more if you have a ramp going up to them.

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Make sure that the roosts the birds will sleep on are higher than the nests or they will try to sleep IN the nest! [​IMG]
    Have an area to place food and water (off the ground is best). To be safe add another nest to the coop as the experts suggest 1 for every 4 hens. The good news is you have plenty of indoor coop space for the chickens you have ( 4 sq. ft. per bird), which means you could have twice as many as you do now!! Good luck!

4. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    Quote:17 birds in total will mean that you need to think of the roosting board set up. You could put two long roosts, staggered in height, along the longer wall, so they would all have personal space when roosting. The pecking order will soon determine who sits on the lower rung, and who on the higher one. You stagger them so they don't poop on one another. I would also add a dropping board under the roosts. They can use the dropping board to help them get up to the roosts, and it makes for a cleaner hen house if it's cleaned every morning. Put the dropping board about 15" from the floor, the lower roost 25" from the floor, and the higher roost about 36" from the floor. At these heights, you probably won't need a ramp for the birds, unless they are very young still.

I would put the nest boxes on the shorter wall, three will do. Chances are they will only use one, or maybe two..They all seem to prefer the same one for some reason..[​IMG] Put them up about 20" from the floor. If you put a sloped roof over them, the hens won't use them as a roost. Plastic milk cartons work great, but you need to add a solid floor to them, so the straw, or shavings don't all fall out.

I would add a window for light in the coop. If you plan on having an opening one for added ventilation, cover the opening with hardware cloth. Build a chicken door, that you can open and close, unless you plan on using the main door, and keeping it propped open during the day. Add screened vents around the roof line under the eves. You can also make these so you can open or close them, as desired.

You can hang your feeder from a chain, so the hens don't play in the feeder, scratching food all over the place. Put your waterer up on a cinder block, or even better, a plastic kitty litter box, with a few boards screwed across the top for the waterer to rest on. The raised height helps keeps floor litter out of the water, the litter box prevents water spillage into the floor litter.

Install a light if at all possible, both for artificial lighting to keep the birds laying, but also for when your in the coop cleaning, etc. You can rig it with an automatic timer. A second fixture might come in handy for a heat lamp, or running a cord to a water heater, if you live in a colder winter climate.

You could build a feed storage bin in the coop as it is a good size, but make it rat proof. A metal garbage can works well.

Just a couple ideas for your new coop..[​IMG]

5. snowcone

snowcone Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    I just finished my coop. I had 2 2x4's fastened to the wall on an angle to the floor. I then screwed tree limbs up the 2x4's for them to roost on. I even put some limbs on top of the ceiling rafters to perch on also. They seem to like the natural feel of the limbs rather then boards. I also fastened the 2x4's to hinges so I can just lift the whole roost up and hang it from the ceiling to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by