Just 1 chick?

gorillamama

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
My first hatch was a pretty massive flop. :(

I only got one chick. Obviously I have some kinks to work out, not really the point of this post.

What I'm wondering is we've always had multiple chicks because we buy them that way. We have it in our inside brooder but is it okay to raise it by itself? Should I try to get one of my hens to adopt it?

I'm soo sorry only 1 chick hatched out of your batch!
sad.png
but actually, the first time I ever hatched chicks, that same thing happened, and the third time that happened also!!! So, don't worry about it
wink.png
I don't know how that happened to me either, maybe something was wrong with the eggs! You could always get more eggs or chicks, if you want!! :D Hope this helps a bit!

Last edited:
I'm soo sorry only 1 chick hatched out of your batch! :(  but actually, the first time I ever hatched chicks, that same thing happened, and the third time that happened also!!! So, don't worry about it;)  I don't know how that happened to me either, maybe something was wrong with the eggs! You could always get more eggs or chicks, if you want!! :D Hope this helps a bit!

Well it makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one! I grabbed the last 2 days of eggs out of our coop and am trying again. While it was discouraging im determined to get the hang of this!

But you're stuck raising this one chick right now. Chicks are very needy little critters. Is it chirping madly for attention and contact? Because they need warmth and touch.

Some have had luck hanging a feather duster just so it hovers over the floor of the brooder, and the chick can snuggle under it. Another aid to its comfort would be to brood it under a heating pad cave. Blooie on the thread "Mama heating pad for the brooder" brooded a single chick successfully that way.

But you're stuck raising this one chick right now. Chicks are very needy little critters. Is it chirping madly for attention and contact? Because they need warmth and touch.

Some have had luck hanging a feather duster just so it hovers over the floor of the brooder, and the chick can snuggle under it. Another aid to its comfort would be to brood it under a heating pad cave. Blooie on the thread "Mama heating pad for the brooder" brooded a single chick successfully that way.

Oh I have no intention of getting rid of the chick, I have a rule that the first baby born on our farm of each species is a "protected class" and my husband isn't allowed to sell or eat it. Lol.

I just needed to know if there was anything I could do to make it more comfortable. It does cheep a lot and seems to calm down when we talk to it. I'll try those tips, thank you :)

If my broody comes through, I'll be in your same shoes.
I plan on getting a cheap teddy, a feather duster, and a mirror, all to put in my brooder, which will be in my room, with wire window, because I do worry about loneliness. I'd let my broody raise it, but she's a first timer, I don't trust my other hens, and all my chickens must be friendly.

Back
Top Bottom