Just a Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by HorseFeatherz NV, Oct 8, 2011.

1. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a chicken," or, "that's a lot of money for “just a chicken”. They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a chicken".

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a chicken." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a chicken," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a chicken," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of “just a chicken” gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a chicken," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." “Just a chicken” brings into my life the very essence
    of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy; “Just a chicken” brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of “just a chicken” I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not “just a chicken” but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. “just a chicken” brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not “just a chicken” but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase “just a chicken” just smile, because they "just" don't understand.

~Anonymous..

Some "Just Chickens" of mine enjoying the garden

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Those folks who think they are "just chickens" are really missing out. Sadly, they haven't had the opportunity to get to know some chickens.

Your beautiful chickens look like they were enjoying a nice day outside.

3. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Well said!! I love all 16 of my "just chickens".

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

5. chickenlover91

chickenlover91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    That is so true [​IMG] When your sad or lonely 'Just a chicken' Is always there to cheer you up. Those ppl are missing out! I love my [​IMG]:cd

6. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    [​IMG]

7. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    That's touching. Beautiful girls ya got there.

8. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Someone said something like that to me the other day. But it was "they're just chickens, lighten up!"

I was furious. About 2 weeks ago, I woke up with some of the worst flu symptoms. I thought, just go out there, do the absolute basic and get yourself back in to bed. I had every intention of doing this, but the minute I stepped into the coop, I had ten chicks swarming me and my beautiful roo MAX pecking playfully at my pant leg, like "what's wrong, Mommy?"

I stayed out there til well into the afternoon. And seriously, I felt better.

Now I'm not saying that chickens are the answer to the common cold or the flu by any means. What I'm saying is that you should never, ever say "just a chicken" to me.

9. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:And just so you know, your birds are FABULOUS!! Whoever wrote what you posted nailed it right on the head as well. [​IMG]

Thank you for posting it for us! [​IMG]

10. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Well said! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by