Just a cute thing...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilBizzy, Jul 23, 2008.

1. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    that only chicken-lovers would appreciate..
    (wow, did I just categorize myself with the chicken lovers?)

We have 11 " babies" that are approx 10 weeks old. They have outgrown their temporary pen, so they are let out of the shed in the morning to free range all day.
    As it gets to be a little dark, they do wander toward the shed door. As it turns out, one of the chicks ( one that may or may not be a roo) goes into the shed first, then peeps VERY loudly, and doesnt shut up untill all the babies are in. I didnt think much of it the first night, but it's been happening every night. It's so cute that (s)he calls in all the others.

Then they all get in there and fight over roost positions. Oh well, guess it can't always be funny or cute !

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Wow, I wish mine would do that....

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How cute that the one looks out for the others. Mine all migrate towards the coops at the same time but I don't know that one keeps a look out for all the others.

I have two coops, one that was intended to be used mainly as a brooder. Well my two groups of chickens don't get along terribly well, though they are getting better as time passes. So my three oldest birds were in the larger coop and I had one pullet and two smaller chicks in the smaller coop, I figured the larger ones needed more room. Well every night they have gone to bed on their own ( I sometimes have to go out and put them to bed before they are ready if I need to let the dogs out), they have switched coops! The big ones go into the small coop and the smaller birds go into the big coop... I have finally just quit fighting it and I put them to bed they way they seem to be comfortable. Weird chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by