Just a dumb question....

Justino

♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫
12 Years
Dec 21, 2007
KY
When i get the chicks in the mail is it a good idea to put them under the broody silkies? lol will they think the silkie is their mom and the silkie think the chicks are her chicks and raise them as their own? and if i did do this (i probably wont....) will the be just as friendly as if i hand raised them (probably not right?)

Thanks!
smile.png

If your silkies are broody when the chicks arrive, yes, you can put them under the hen and she will accept them as her own and they will think she is her mother. However, I don't know about if she has only been broody a few days. I've had a hen accept baby chicks when she had been broody about 15 days. No, they won't be as friendly as if you hand raise them but you can still handle them a lot and get them used to you.

A broody hen is the very best mother in the world. Put the chicks under her at night, and she will accept them just fine. Good luck!

Just keep an eye on her. Most hens will accept them with no trouble, but some don't. Also, make sure the chicks accept her too.

If your hen is friendly and lets you handle her chicks then they will be just as friendly as house raised. Even is she doesn't let you near, as soon as she is done with them you can start in with the treats and they will be the lovable pets you want after a couple weeks.

Matt

ok but would the big girls attack her and the chicks??

Back
Top Bottom