Just a few peeps in Maryland...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2big2ride, Jan 23, 2012.

1. 2big2ride

2big2ride New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    I'm sure this has been addressed. I couldn't find it in the FAQ's..
    I want to have 6 or so laying hens and can't take a full 25 minimum order from a large hatchery. Are there any "local" folks who may be interested in splitting an order or direct me to local folks who may have peeps available?
    I can't have roosters, so getting laying hens would be a priority. I'm not too picky on breed. Brown eggs preferred and an easy breed for first timers and kids a must....
    My zip code is 20723.
    Thanks for the help!

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
  3. 3GChicks

3GChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    Hi, where are you in Maryland? We are on the Eastern Shore and we actually got our silkies from a breeder in VA. You might want to contact your counties 4-H office to see if they can recommend anyone in your area, or your local department of agriculture office to see if they can recommend someone reputable.

Good Luck!

4. BlackCochinLover

BlackCochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Maryland
    Your on nthe eastern shore? ME TOO!!!!! and you have silkies? you are so so so so so lucky!!!!!!!!! I have always wanted some :) would you be willing to sell any? [​IMG]

5. 3GChicks

3GChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2012
    I just got our chicks, we got them two weeks ago and they will be 7 weeks old tomorrow. We found them from a breeder in VA, after searching and searching for breeders on the Eastern Shore and getting no where. I called our county 4-H office and they were of no help. The breeder we got them from is in Keswick VA and she is absolutely wonderful! She has Silkies, Sussex, Plymouth Barred Rocks and I believe she has other breeds but I am not to sure.

She has a website www.sleepyhollowkikos.com and she is on BYC, her user name is JustusChicks. You should check out her website.

Where on the Eastern Shore are you? We are in Caroline County.

I have never had chickens before and after only having them for 2 weeks I am already addicted.

[​IMG]

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I find that most legit hatcheries do not always require 25 minimum purchase here are few more to check out that have much smaller minimums. Do not do shots but for the .50 cents more have them sexed these hatcheries are very good at what they do;
    www.chickensforbackyards.com/
    www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/
    www.idealpoultry.com/
    www.mypetchicken.com/
    www.mthealthy.com/
    www.Meyerhatchery.com

The shipping distance from these guys should be the foremost in your mind. The closer the better for stress reasons on the chicks. When they ask you do you want free peanut, unless you want roosters say, NO! Best of luck and of course
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

7. BlackCochinLover

BlackCochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Maryland
    I am in Dorchester county :) I just love silkies but I dont think I will be able to drive to VA . Do you have a roo and will you be hatching any this spring?

8. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I'm from Dorchester County though I don't live there anymore. My family still does. I'm in Frederick County now. I have silkies coming out of my ears and more in the incubator. Love the lil fluff balls. Love my showgirls too.

9. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Well Howdy, neighbor! I'm in "Fredneck" County as well - though I'm a bit more to the west, near Jefferson, MD.

10. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Well, hi there. I'm closer to Eldersburg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by