Just a few pics. of the babies I hatched.....

Discussion in 'Quail' started by peewee, Sep 4, 2009.

1. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I found some eggs in the corner of the pheasant pen that I had over looked when I was cleaning it out. I did not want to eat them since I didn't know how old they were so I popped them in the 'bator to see if I could get anything out of them.
    Out of seven eggs that I set six hatched. Unfortunately one quit on me on his second day so I only have five babies. One hatched days before any of the others and I thought I was I was gong to go nuts with the crying. I finally let him train me and ever since we have been living in peace. [​IMG]

This is Fred (Don't ask - I told my mom that I had a quail hatch and she promptly named it Fred. Every time she called she would ask how her Fred was doing.) This is the one that nearly drove me nuts with the crying.
    [​IMG]

This is the last one to hatch. I had put everybody else outside except for this one. She stayed in the house in a 10 gallon tank I had set up for her. It started to rain and I had to run to get everyone back inside before they got soaked. I have no idea how this little one got out of her pen but when I went to get her to put her in with the other birds I found her weaving in and out if the bars to cage I had put the others in.
    [​IMG]

She looks pretty smug doesn't she???
    [​IMG]

This is Fred again. He couldn't wait for me to put the food in the pen.
    [​IMG]

Went to check on the babies and found this one sprawled out. I thought that she had died until I saw her twitch. Had to take a picture of this because I thought it was just to cute after I got over the thought that she had passed.
    [​IMG]

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

[​IMG], very very cute! [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Don't you just hate how they sleep? [​IMG] They always freak me out when I see them like that!

So you keep your coturnix with your pheasants, and they get along okay? That's interesting, I might have to try that [​IMG]

4. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Cute pictures!
    I hate it when they sleep like that!!

5. ken429h

ken429h Out to Lunch

Jul 14, 2009
    Lawrenceville, GA
    The "playing dead" thing shocked me at first, but has become adorable now that I know what's going on.
    Ken

6. sethsleader

sethsleader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Portreath
    They're gorgeous!

7. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Thank you everyone, I have really become attached to these little guys. Sorry it has taken so long to get back here but I have been out of town.
    Shelleyd, I have kept a couple of quail in with my golden pheasants for along time now and I have never had any problem except for one time when I had to half one of my pens to separate two boys for a short time while another pen was built. My male was being quite the butt over this and I had to remove the quail until I could open the pen back up. I think it had more to do with the male in the pen so close by than anything to do with the quail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by