1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just a few questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JadeMeister, Mar 15, 2016.

1. JadeMeister

JadeMeister Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    Hey guys, I've had my new ducks since Sunday (now Wednesday) would it be safe to let them out of the coop during the day yet? Is bread safe for them as a snack?

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Are they friendly at all? If they are shy/skittish you might want to keep them in the coop longer until they are used to you and you make friends. Otherwise if you let them out you might not see them again, or it could be extremely difficult to get them back into a shelter for the night.

Bread is very bad for ducks, so it should not be given as a treat. Try things like corn, peas, kale, mealworms, or lettuce instead. :)

3. JadeMeister

Feb 25, 2016
    They are a bit skittish but can get near them

4. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    I'm with Orca5094 on this one. Are they fully feathered yet? And what kind of temps are you experiencing? Suggest giving it time and spending more time for them to get to know you and you them. Start finding yummy snacks now. Ours are so darn picky... And use your leftovers to your advantage. If there are pieces you've trimmed off of vegetables or even some that are left over, throw those in and let them attempt to eat. On that, you'll need to cut it up small enough so they can eat it. I think that's the mistake we made last year with some squash and other gourds we put out for them. Smaller pieces would have been easier.

Just my two cents.

Troy & Tina

5. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    And one thing I forgot - they can be lightening quick and quite agile. The spouse and I spent over two hours chasing down an injured duck on our property that jumped out of a plastic tote we were keeping him in. It's a long story, humorous now looking back, but taught us valuable lessons that will stick forever!!! So unless you have a solid enclosure that you guarantee they can't get out of, still be careful because they see the openings you and I miss.

Hope this helps,

Troy & Tina

6. JadeMeister

Feb 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

Any idea on their breed?

7. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Look like muscovies

8. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yep, definitely Muscovies. :)

9. JadeMeister

Feb 25, 2016
    [​IMG]

Let them out for a waddle and they enjoyed it :)

10. michellemaples

michellemaples New Egg

Aug 5, 2015
    Kingsville Missouri
    [​IMG]

I know the black ducklings are Rouens but not sure about the others any ideas ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by