just a few questions...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kkattt, Aug 4, 2011.

1. kkattt

kkattt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Good morning from sunny Massachusetts! I was wondering when I should attempt to clip my 10th week old muscovy's wings... Also both of my babies still make a cheeping sound... When does this change? I am pretty sure they are both males...
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    Q#1 - If you want to try but i would suggest taking him/her to the vet to get it proffesionally done.

Q#2 - After a few months most likely but it may vary from duck to duck. The breed may affect this as well.

Hope I helped! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'd see if someone who has done it before can show you. We have parrots/budgies so we've done it before. However we opted to leave ours as full flight since we free range... our main flock is 13+wks and the hens fly.. they can clear the horse paddock fence of over 4ft now.. the drakes barely get there feet lifted lol

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:you don't want to clip until completely feathered. Mine is 9 weeks and not complete yet. probably by 11 or 12 weeks they should be finished. Please post some current pics. I have a muscovy duck at 9 weeks and we keep going back and forth about the sex of it. I need something for comparison. Thanks. [​IMG]
    http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/clip.html it's really easy to do.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. kkattt

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

6. kkattt

Jul 9, 2011
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

8. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

and I think you are only supposed to clip ONE wing? to keep them off balance so they won't fly. I've read where people clipped both of their chickens wings only to find out they could still flap and fly a bit.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by