Just a few questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shelley, Jun 9, 2008.

1. shelley

shelley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    My little chick (lavender pekin bantam) is nearly 3 weeks old and we have taking him out side a couple of times and he is eating grass and bugs and worms does he need to have grit if so how much and does it go in with his food?

How old are they when you can start putting them out side?

Is there any treats I can give him?

Thank you for reading this and any answers will be very much appreciated.

2. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I read in a chicken book that you can sprinkle grit on the food like you'd sprinkle sugar on cereal.
    As far as putting them outsdie, I think you'll get a wide range of answers on that one. Some do it immediately and some wait until they are like 6wks.
    Sounds like you are already giving them some yummy treats! [​IMG]

3. shelley

shelley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Oxfordshire UK
    Yes it (sorry dont know if my 1 chick is a girl or a boy yet) loved the worms and bugs I just cant believe it knew what to do as soon as the bugs moved [​IMG]

4. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    When I first let my chicks out, I wasn't giving them any grit. If there out side long enough, they will be eating dirt and sand. I don't give my hens grit, since they free range all day. But if they don't free range you should give them grit.

I started letting my chicks outside at 3 weeks, but they didn't move to the coop till they were 8 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by