just a few quick questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelsey, Apr 12, 2011.

1. kelsey

kelsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    I have seven chicks that are a little over two weeks old add six more that are almost one week old im getting six more tomorrow, would it be ok to put the week old chicks in the pen with the older ones as long as they get along? Or would it be better to put the chicks I'm getting tomoro in there with the week old ones. I don't have the room to use another box for them. Also, do I need to give them grit when I give them hard broiled eggs? Thanks for any help

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I would put the 2 older groups together and just watch them for a little bit to make sure the little ones don't get picked on. Should be fine though. They shouldn't really need grit unless you're giving them something hard to grind up.

3. skhomer

skhomer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2011
    Homer, Georgia
    Thanks - I was wondering about the grit too -- so far my 4-week old RIR and SS have only had boiled egg as a treat.

4. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read that mixing ages up to 3 or even 4 weeks works fine. Never tried it, though.

5. kelsey

kelsey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    ok thanks. And does it matter how often you give the chicks eggs? Or can to much be bad for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by