Just a few simple questions

elizabethshens

Hatching
Mar 19, 2015
I was woundering if my feed store bought New Hampshires would be show quality. They all just started laying and look just like other show quality birds.
idunno.gif
I live in Texas and was also wondering where I could find any show quality birds.

This breed of bird is not meant for showing,period.You can show them,but I doubt she'd win,just because people do not crave their color,and think their just plain.

A New hampshire was meant for egg production,but can also be used for a table bird.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock"!

If you got New Hampshires from a feed store, chances are they are not show quality. Most birds that hatcheries/feed stores sell as "New Hampshires" are actually mixes of various red breeds. They may be great egg layers, but don't always fit the ideal appearance of a show quality bird.

Respectfully, I must disagree with LoveThemBird's opinion that New Hampshires are not for showing and that they wouldn't do well. Purebred New Hampshires make excellent showbirds. They may not be the fanciest breed of chicken, but they don't need to be; all chickens are judged to the American Standard of Perfection. The bird that comes closest to its ideal standard, no matter its breed, is usually the winner. Chickens are not judged on "pretty". They are judged according to how well they fit the standard.

Could you post some photos of your New Hampshires? I would be happy to help determine whether they are show quality.

Respectfully, I must disagree with LoveThemBird's opinion that New Hampshires are not for showing and that they wouldn't do well. Purebred New Hampshires make excellent showbirds. They may not be the fanciest breed of chicken, but they don't need to be; all chickens are judged to the American Standard of Perfection. The bird that comes closest to its ideal standard, no matter its breed, is usually the winner. Chickens are not judged on "pretty". They are judged according to how well they fit the standard.

Could you post some photos of your New Hampshires? I would be happy to help determine whether they are show quality.

I must also disagree with LoveThemBird's statement that a well bred New Hampshire is not a show bird. An APA sanctioned show is not a beauty pageant. It is to determine which bird conforms best to the Standard of Perfection for it's breed. In fact solid colored birds tend to do better than patterned or multicolored birds. Breeders can concentrate on just type, instead of multiple facets of the standard.

That being said, hatchery birds in general are not great examples compared to the Standard Of Perfection. Hatcheries concentrate on egg preduction but ignore other qualities such as temperament and meat production.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, and may want to search for photos of show winning New Hampshires to see what the breed should really look like.

Back
Top Bottom