Just a friendly reminder.

LRH97

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Southern Illinois
Holy Week begins tomorrow (Palm Sunday) which means exactly one week until Easter. Lots of people go into the feed stores thinking they'll buy some cute little fluff balls to give their kids for Easter. This is great, however all too often people don't think of what they're going to do with the chicks once they have grown up. Same goes for ducklings and all the other cute little animals that stores offer at this time of year. People find themselves in a sticky situation, knowing nothing about how to care adult birds or lacking the appropriate housing etc. for them. I think it's safe to say that most of us here at BYC have gone into poultry keeping intending on keeping the birds longer than just a month or so. That being said, it's our job to help those who need guidance, to encourage people to really think before they buy and to do their homework. We want to avoid the infamous "Well, I bought the chicks for my son/daughter for Easter, but now they're older and we don't want them anymore." bit. The number of Craigslist ads with these types of things usually shoot up around here about a month or so after Easter Sunday. Help spread the word! Chickens and ducks (and any animal for that matter) are babies only temporarily. Plaster it on Facebook, Twitter, and whatever else. It's not fair to the animals to only be interested in them when they're in their fluffy stage. Us poultry keepers must be advocates! Have a blessed Easter everyone.

Holy Week begins tomorrow (Palm Sunday) which means exactly one week until Easter. Lots of people go into the feed stores thinking they'll buy some cute little fluff balls to give their kids for Easter. This is great, however all too often people don't think of what they're going to do with the chicks once they have grown up. Same goes for ducklings and all the other cute little animals that stores offer at this time of year. People find themselves in a sticky situation, knowing nothing about how to care adult birds or lacking the appropriate housing etc. for them. I think it's safe to say that most of us here at BYC have gone into poultry keeping intending on keeping the birds longer than just a month or so. That being said, it's our job to help those who need guidance, to encourage people to really think before they buy and to do their homework. We want to avoid the infamous "Well, I bought the chicks for my son/daughter for Easter, but now they're older and we don't want them anymore." bit. The number of Craigslist ads with these types of things usually shoot up around here about a month or so after Easter Sunday. Help spread the word! Chickens and ducks (and any animal for that matter) are babies only temporarily. Plaster it on Facebook, Twitter, and whatever else. It's not fair to the animals to only be interested in them when they're in their fluffy stage. Us poultry keepers must be advocates! Have a blessed Easter everyone.
You are so right! Thank You LRH97! Have a blessed Easter as well!

Sadly this is so true :( already on craigslist there are posts for baby easter bunnies and I know after Easter the posts are going to be about kids losing interest and the "Easter/Spring baby magic" is gone. Pet stores and feed stores should remind all their customers about this instead of pushing them to buy spring babies.
Have a blessed Easter
2665.png
1f430.png
1f425.png
1f490.png

Back
Top Bottom