Just a friendly warning!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cochinGurl, May 26, 2010.

1. cochinGurl

cochinGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    bellingham
    This happend to my friend, and I've read about it online, and i thought id post it here. When incubating eggs, its IMPERITIVE, that you keep the temp stable. if for just a short time, the temp rises oh, a few degrees, it could be catastophic! it can restult in curled toes, and maybe even a extra few legs! this almost always causes the bird pain, and makes it harder to get around. usally, the bird has to be put down.[​IMG] well, i hope this helps prevent a few mishaps.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    There are lots of folks on here who will tell you they have had huge temperature fluctuations without ill effects.

Hens get off of their clutches sometimes daily and egg temperatures plummet.

But when temps get too warm, there can be birth defects.

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    It wont do anything if the temp spikes for a few seconds. Maybe long term though.....................

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have had eggs go a bit too hot and often go pretty cold when momma hen decides to go walkabout and have had good hatch rates of healthy chicks. I agree that it is best to keep at stable temperature, but temperature change may not necessarily be a disaster
    Sandie

5. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    I have read way too many posts from people in a panic because the temp spiked or dropped hard that ended up with perfect hatches to take this warning seriously.

I want to warn everyone to not put thier incubator against the same wall as the garage. If the brakes on your car fails and you drive into the wall, you could knock over your eggs and crack them. [​IMG]

6. fishfarmer

fishfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2010
    Twin Cities
    Quote:Are we talking from experience? [​IMG]

7. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    this info from someone with 8 posts? I have 3 left in my clutch and my hen keeps getting back on the wrong nest, they have gone cold 3 times and there is still clearly a lot of movement in the eggs, not only that but as someone else said, I have seen where many people had spikes and drops in temp all throughout the hatch. I have never however heard of multiple extra legs from temp fluxes as a matter of fact I have never heard of extra legs PERIOD. So any newbies reading this, check up more before freaking out and thinking your chicks are going to have 5 legs and die. Dont throw out your clutch. It will most likely work out fine, they are more likely not to hatch at all than to live with multiple excesses of limbs LOL

8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    this hatch i had some penedescna and blue australorp eggs in the incubator , will the temp dropped down to 68.8 , and it is now day 18 and i have a blue 'lorp hatching. Yes it is best to keep at a stable temp, i have heard the cooling of is better then heating the eggs...

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I just had a temperature spike of 107 before my Sizzles hatched! Darn LG's, I hate them...anyway, none have extra limbs or curled toes. They're all doing just fine!

Laurie

10. kimb

kimb Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    For the past week or so I've been doing a little experiment on the eggs under my broody with a temp/humidity gauge ... 7 out of 10 eggs are developing and are due this 5/31 and you wouldn't believe the fluctuation in temperature and humidity !!! the journal isn't super great there are a few days I missed and a few days I took 2 readings but temps range from 70-90 and humidity ranges from 20-70 ...

I'm going to keep up the journal because I actually switched the eggs under the broodies because one hasn't been very consistent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by